Sign in to follow this  

Java API and GDC 2011 questions

This topic is 2490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just started Java for school this semester. So far it's overwhelming but fun. We started learning imports from the API library, and I have no idea what I'm looking at when I go to the site. Is it supposed to be hard to understand for beginners, or am I not seeing it clearly? lol

Off topic I get to go to the GDC this year, pretty exciting. Any tips or advice I can get for the event? I'm expecting a better picutre of what the industry is like from behind the scenes.

The documentation for Java is very good. You will quickly learn to appreciate it. Looking at it for the first time can be very overwhelming. First you need to understand what packages are. It is much like a file structure, but divided by dots instead of slashes. I would recommend using the index view of the API found [url="http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/"]here[/url]. Top left is the packages. Java.awt has your graphics stuff, java.util has collections and some other stuff, etc. Clicking one of those will list all the classes in that package. You really just need a bit of practice, finding things in the API doc. Try looking up things that you already know how to use in the API. Good luck.

This topic is 2490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.