What D3D10 ebook should I begin with?

Started by
5 comments, last by Feoggou 13 years ago
Hi!

I want to learn Direct 3D 10, but I don't know what book is better. I've gotten "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10" but it seems that it is a bit complicated: you only get to draw a simple cube after finishing reading an entire chapter (because you need effects, techniques, etc.). This method - teaching a lot of theory and only at the end applying - is hard for me, I need to do a bit then test, perhaps play a bit with the code, and only after to get to the next step.

Do you know any good book on Direct 3D 10? If yes, PLEASE recommend me one.
Advertisement

Hi!

I want to learn Direct 3D 10, but I don't know what book is better. I've gotten "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10" but it seems that it is a bit complicated: you only get to draw a simple cube after finishing reading an entire chapter (because you need effects, techniques, etc.). This method - teaching a lot of theory and only at the end applying - is hard for me, I need to do a bit then test, perhaps play a bit with the code, and only after to get to the next step.

Do you know any good book on Direct 3D 10? If yes, PLEASE recommend me one.

The book you have is pretty much the best there is. If you want to quickly make a game, don't use such low level things like DirectX (openGL, etc). They are for lower level tasks.

Use environments like Unity that do alot of the stuff for you (that you would otherwise have to write yourself using DirectX).
They hated on Jeezus, so you think I give a f***?!
The book you have is really really good.

then, just a question: don't you guys find it a bit difficult that it explains a lot and only at the end you can build all together and see how it works?

[quote name='Khulad' timestamp='1298405950' post='4777676']

then, just a question: don't you guys find it a bit difficult that it explains a lot and only at the end you can build all together and see how it works?
[/quote]

ok, ok.

Thanks for your help.

The book can be challenging sometimes. And sometimes the exercises aren't straightforward to answer (most books have the answers to the exercises within the chapter you've just read) but once you can do the exercises of a particular chapter from Frank's book I find that you have really understood the chapter.

The book can be challenging sometimes. And sometimes the exercises aren't straightforward to answer (most books have the answers to the exercises within the chapter you've just read) but once you can do the exercises of a particular chapter from Frank's book I find that you have really understood the chapter.

It is very annoying that it doesn't let you do things how you want them: it doesn't let you do anything yourself (except exercises). For instance, I'm now at the chapter "Lighting" and I MUST understand from the beginning to the end, every step I need to make to create lights. In the book it only shows me how it applied there, I check the example, I copy-paste in my application, but if I must do lighting myself, I can't.

In the application I did last time - the cube - I can't apply lighting. I don't know how to set normals - as I have "normal" for every vertex, not every "face". I get at the end, after reading everything, that I don't understand anything (anything of that which must be implemented). Lighting was done much easier in D3D9, as I remember...

Funny, in this examples it uses a new variable, called "gWorld" in the cbuffer "cbPerObject", but it doesn't say what it is (what it does, whatever!) It's... very frustrating.

Perhaps any of you have a suggestion: how should I study this book? should it suffice only to read, use its programs and apply the exercises it gives? Or I must learn to do myself from beginning to end: lighting, texturing, etc. ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement