Sign in to follow this  

Strange graphics bug in my video game library...

This topic is 2484 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on a open-source video game library called OVGL. It currently is using DirectX 10, XAudio2, PhysX, FBX SDK and a few other APIs to render a fully programmable 3D scene. Most everything works right now except a few small things that I need to add and a few bugs I need to fix. Right now I'm trying to fix a bug that is barely noticeable but still annoying.

Basically when I have a plane with per pixel lighting and no textures applied to it there are strange circular striations radiating from where the light is cast onto the plane when I move the camera. I uploaded a video to YouTube to show what I am talking about but the compression YouTube used on the video makes it slightly hard to see the problem. Anyway here is the video: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql78zor-UME"]Link[/url]

I tried to get a screen capture of it but when I capture the screen the problem is not visible. It obviously has something to do with the motion of the camera...

Does anyone have an idea what is causing this? When I add a texture to the plane the problem is far less noticeable but it would be nice to render plain surfaces without visual defects...

[quote name='unbird' timestamp='1298401285' post='4777637']
Not sure, you might experience banding due to color quantization/aliasing. There was a recent [url="http://www.gamedev.net/topic/591224-screen-color-precision/"]discussion[/url] about this.

Could you still do a screenshot, please ?
[/quote]

[attachment=1485:Untitled.jpg]

The problem is completely gone when I take a screen shot. It definitely is not the problem you linked and only happens when the camera moves...

This topic is 2484 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.