C#,Java; Game Dev(..online)

Started by
8 comments, last by slynk 13 years, 2 months ago
Hey guys my first time posting on these forums, and im very excited to have joined the community.

So let me give you a Bit of back ground. I started programming when i was 12, with Java. And have been hopping languages and frame works ever since. Ive tried both C# and Java and i love both languages. I do some day plan on mastering them both. But the real issue im having is i love coding games, simple guessing games. To complex text based RPG's. And i need to figure out which high level language(not c++) i should stick with through my game dev learnings and such. i can see many pros and cons of each language such as the portability of java, and the Robust and easy syntax of C#. I like the concept of applets for games, but i dont see many games in applets anymore; everything is written in flash/ActionScript 3, for online browser based games. So my fellow game coders i ask you this, what language should i focus on for game development eventually leading to online game development(browser based).

some stuff about me you should know.

my IDE's of choice:
java=netbeans/eclipse
C#=VS2010CE
Lua=ScitE/NotePad++

i also have some pretty bad habbits such as using the wrong types for my methods.
and dun dun dun....HARD CODING ohmy.gif
Java,C#,C++,Lua all have there own uses for a certain task!
Advertisement

Hey guys my first time posting on these forums, and im very excited to have joined the community.

So let me give you a Bit of back ground. I started programming when i was 12, with Java. And have been hopping languages and frame works ever since. Ive tried both C# and Java and i love both languages. I do some day plan on mastering them both. But the real issue im having is i love coding games, simple guessing games. To complex text based RPG's. And i need to figure out which high level language(not c++) i should stick with through my game dev learnings and such. i can see many pros and cons of each language such as the portability of java, and the Robust and easy syntax of C#. I like the concept of applets for games, but i dont see many games in applets anymore; everything is written in flash/ActionScript 3, for online browser based games. So my fellow game coders i ask you this, what language should i focus on for game development eventually leading to online game development(browser based).

some stuff about me you should know.

my IDE's of choice:
java=netbeans/eclipse
C#=VS2010CE
Lua=ScitE/NotePad++

i also have some pretty bad habbits such as using the wrong types for my methods.
and dun dun dun....HARD CODING ohmy.gif

Um browser based? None of the above. Most browser games are made in flash/actionscript or javascript. If that's seriously what you want, go with flash. Actionscript...4? I think is a lot like Java (one of the versions is).

Also C/C++ are important to learn if you want to program outside of browser based games :P Don't avoid them. C will blow your mind in viewing memory. And C++ will teach you a lot about pointers and managed memory (since you normally don't use that stuff in C# ).

Any reason you don't like C++?
If you're planning on doing mostly 2D stuff then AS3/Flash is a great choice for its cross-platform compatibility. You shouldn't have much trouble learning it if you know Java and C#. You do have to be somewhat wary of performance issues in large-scale Flash games but depending on the game, this can be alleviated by clever management of assets. You can do 3D with engines like Papervision (or make your own if you're a masochist) but I'm not sure about the performance.

Also C/C++ are important to learn if you want to program outside of browser based games :P Don't avoid them. C will blow your mind in viewing memory. And C++ will teach you a lot about pointers and managed memory (since you normally don't use that stuff in C# ).

Any reason you don't like C++?

Don't oversell C++. The largest reason it's still used is because it's backwards compatible with legacy code, not because it is good.

If you are paying attention, C# or java can be pretty powerful alternatives that come with the benefit that if you are not paying attention your computer won't explode.

Not to undersell C++ either because it is powerful. It's just that there is more than just one viable option as far as game development goes.
You could go with Unity if you want to target browsers and program in C#. Kongregate just started accepting Unity games so their reach is getting closer to Flash games.
Developer for Novus Dawn : a [s]Flash[/s] Unity Isometric Tactical RPG - Forums - Facebook - DevLog
As you mentioned, Java does have applets (which aren't very popular for games anymore). I don't think C# has similar in browser support, so if you are picking between the two for browser based games, Java is really your only choice. There is also PulpCore which is a nice Java API for applets. Most browser game are written in Flash/AS3, so you may want to learn those instead.

As you mentioned, Java does have applets (which aren't very popular for games anymore). I don't think C# has similar in browser support, so if you are picking between the two for browser based games, Java is really your only choice. There is also PulpCore which is a nice Java API for applets. Most browser game are written in Flash/AS3, so you may want to learn those instead.

C# has both Silverlight (with Moonlight Linux support) and Unity as browser based platforms for development.

However, if the focus is on browser based games, then I suggest HTML5 and the various canvas graphics APIs for JavaScript, as that is the likely future of cross platform browser based games.

[quote name='EricTheRed' timestamp='1298400559' post='4777629']

C# has both Silverlight (with Moonlight Linux support) and Unity as browser based platforms for development.

However, if the focus is on browser based games, then I suggest HTML5 and the various canvas graphics APIs for JavaScript, as that is the likely future of cross platform browser based games.
[/quote]

Can i get more information on this "unity" is it like the UDK, or URE3?

Java,C#,C++,Lua all have there own uses for a certain task!

[quote name='arbitus' timestamp='1298403661' post='4777655']
[quote name='EricTheRed' timestamp='1298400559' post='4777629']

[/quote]

Can i get more information on this "unity" is it like the UDK, or URE3?

[/quote]

http://unity3d.com/
Don't oversell C++. The largest reason it's still used is because it's backwards compatible with legacy code, not because it is good.

If you are paying attention, C# or java can be pretty powerful alternatives that come with the benefit that if you are not paying attention your computer won't explode.

Not to undersell C++ either because it is powerful. It's just that there is more than just one viable option as far as game development goes.

I'm not talking about how good the language is, I'm talking about what it cant teach you as a programmer. I listed C as well. I hate C. I think it's ugly. BUT, it taught me a lot about how things are handled in memory. And after learning it, I awakened to this better understanding of programming in general. ^^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement