Transition of energy/momentum

Started by
0 comments, last by Buckeye 13 years, 1 month ago
I'm not sure how to explain this properly. I have an object affected by several forces, all from different angles, simultaneously. How do I find the resultant angle and momentum of the object? I'm asking this in mathematical terms, not in terms of X/Y/Z coordinates (if that makes it any clearer.)

Thank you in advance.
Advertisement
If the forces are represented as vectors, then the total force equals the sum of the vectors.

You can then apply F=ma, or in this case a = Fm to find the acceleration, where F and a are both vectors and m is the (scalar) mass.

Then v = v0 + at. That is, resultant velocity vector = starting velocity vector + the acceleration vector over some time period. Momentum = mv.

As far as the "resultant angle," I assume you mean the direction of the velocity. You can use dot products to find the angle of the velocity with another vector, such as a unit vector along each of the axes, if that's what you're looking for.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement