Sign in to follow this  

How can I resolve XACTENGINE_E_INVALIDDATA

This topic is 2489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to integrate XACT into my game. The trouble I'm having is that IXACT3Engine::CreateInMemoryWaveBank is returning XACTENGINE_E_INVALIDDATA, and I can't figure out why. So I swapped out the .XWB, .XSB and .XGS files from XACT Tutorial 1 sample, which also resulted in the error. But when I installed the XACT Tutorial 1 project and built it, it worked fine.

I used some search-fu and found a couple references to this issue. One was caused by not having the most recent DirectX redistributable installed, and one was called by including an old header file. Neither of these seem to be my issue; I'm on a fresh Windows install, the June 2010 DirectX SDK is the only one installed, and I have run the redist setup file to make sure DirectX is up-to-date. Something must be different between my code and the sample, but I haven't been able to find it, and the XACT initialization code in my game is lifted straight from the sample. I'm at a complete loss to determine what the issue is.

Has anyone seen this before, or have any ideas on what else I might check?

Thanks.

Have you created your XACT project (xap) using the XACT tool from the SDK, created a wave and sound bank, added sounds to it, etc.? If so, is that the wave bank (xwb) you read in using CreateFile, create the file mapping for, etc.? Prior to that, do you get the global settings from your xgs file, etc.?

[quote name='Buckeye' timestamp='1298433231' post='4777831']
Have you created your XACT project (xap) using the XACT tool from the SDK, created a wave and sound bank, added sounds to it, etc.? If so, is that the wave bank (xwb) you read in using CreateFile, create the file mapping for, etc.? Prior to that, do you get the global settings from your xgs file, etc.?
[/quote]
Yes, I've created an XACT project using the XACT tool from the SDK, created a wave and sound bank, and added a wave, sound, and cue. That is the wave bank I read in using CreateFile, and created the file mapping for. I do no read in the XGS file, because XACT Tutorial 1 does not read it in. It appears to not be needed if I'm not using categories, cue instance variables, or global variables.

The XACT Tutorial 1 sample works with both its supplied wave/sound banks and the ones I created. In my code , IXACT3Engine::CreateInMemoryWaveBank returns XACTENGINE_E_INVALIDDATA with both my wave bank and the one supplied with XACT Tutorial 1.

I'll post code shortly if I can't figure it out. But since my code is basically copy/pasted from the sample, and the only two solutions I found online were to update the headers and DirectX redist, (and mine are up to date), I had hoped someone might know of something else to check.

This topic is 2489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.