Making 64bit in 32bit environment

Started by
2 comments, last by chenmaosheng 13 years, 1 month ago
I have always used a 32 bit os, and I know that some of my programs I create that examine portions of another app's memory, will not work in 64 bit.

My gf has recently bought a new system that is 64 bit.... So my very noobish question is ....

Can I make programs that can run on her 64 bit system while programming them on my 32 bit system?

Also, if it is possible... In Vis C# 2008 Express, can I make an app that can detect the type of os its running on, and only execute certain functions so that it could
work on 64 bit or 32 bit?

Last question... what is the main difference in programming 32bit and 64bit? Why will some programs not work from one system to the next? I assume its the size of ptrs.

Thanks for the help, I googled about all this and I got so many conflicting answers, and confusing ones, I decided to ask on here for more expert advice.
Advertisement
Last question... what is the main difference in programming 32bit and 64bit? Why will some programs not work from one system to the next? I assume its the size of ptrs.[/quote]

It looks like you can tweak Visual C# 2008 Expressso that you can choose the execution target. The article describes compiling to 32-bit from a 64-bit environment but you could try if it works the other way.

In Vis C# 2008 Express, can I make an app that can detect the type of os its running on, and only execute certain functions so that it could
work on 64 bit or 32 bit?[/quote]

You could try a loader program like this. Also, please note this comment.

Last question... what is the main difference in programming 32bit and 64bit? Why will some programs not work from one system to the next? I assume its the size of ptrs.[/quote]

For an application programmer, it's mainly the size of pointers an that a program can use more than 4GB of RAM. Alas, programs also require more RAM because of increased pointer size.

Probably your 32-bit executable will work on her computer anyway, without modification. 64-bit Windows tries to maintain compatability with old 32-bit software.
You should run your 32bit program in 64bit system if you test it.
If your environment is Visual studio.net, you can find a option called "detect 64-bit portability issues", open it, and if compile no error, that's ok.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement