Pygame vs Pyglet vs ?

Started by
5 comments, last by Hodgman 13 years, 1 month ago
I'm still thinking about which library to use for my python game.

Pygame seems to be more game oriented, but it does have the C bindings, which don't make it amazingly nice IMHO.
Pyglet seems to be more pythonic/pure python, and definitely openGL rather than a software renderer like SDL (?). However, it seems to be inactive(last update Jan '10).

Are there any other python libraries I should look into?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Inactive isn't quite the right word for pyglet. They don't produce numbered releases very often, but the code base is updated regularly. If you use hg to browse their repository, you'll see the last update was actually only six days ago.

Inactive isn't quite the right word for pyglet. They don't produce numbered releases very often, but the code base is updated regularly. If you use hg to browse their repository, you'll see the last update was actually only six days ago.

Oh, I see. I didn't think to check those sorts of things.
My experience with Pyglet isn't particularly recent, but I remember bad audio latency and no joystick support. Basically, Pyglet is good at OpenGL and Pygame/SDL is good at platform abstraction, but combining both libraries isn't going to be particularly simple.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

There's also PySFML somewhere here.
Maybe you should take a look at it. Never tried it with python though...
--Amir
Thanks guys! I think I shall go for Pyglet. I've tried SFML before, and I'm not too much of a fan of its architecture. Though knowing it has a Python binding is nice. ;D
Pyglet also has the unfortunate trait that it's original developer is a two-faced bastard of a weasel. Pygame doesn't suffer from this flaw.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement