Sign in to follow this  
kaktusas2598

Know program for creating simple graphics?

Hi, rescently i started learning SDL and Im creating my first project - TicTacToe, but however i need graphics for my game, I have photoshop CS 2 on my PC, but I suck in Photoshop, I need something fairly simple, but this program must have all things i need to draw my graphics. Im not artist and dont know how to draw nice so i will create very simple sprite sheet for my game, it could be nice if I can choose size in pixels for my images. Again anybody know such simple program for creating 2D graphics such as sprites and tectures? I dont need another Photoshop, I want to download and start painting, i dont want some complicated high end program. Thanks

You can try gimp? Or just use paint lol. I like fireworks personally. But I'm not an artist, I'm a programmer.

[quote name='kaktusas2598' timestamp='1298486923' post='4778065']
Hi, rescently i started learning SDL and Im creating my first project - TicTacToe, but however i need graphics for my game, I have photoshop CS 2 on my PC, but I suck in Photoshop, I need something fairly simple, but this program must have all things i need to draw my graphics. Im not artist and dont know how to draw nice so i will create very simple sprite sheet for my game, it could be nice if I can choose size in pixels for my images. Again anybody know such simple program for creating 2D graphics such as sprites and tectures? I dont need another Photoshop, I want to download and start painting, i dont want some complicated high end program. Thanks
[/quote]

Honestly, for simple 2D sprite sheets, I [i]would[/i] recommend Photoshop, particularly since you've already got it. It's true that Photoshop is a very deep and powerful program, but you won't need most of the features that Photoshop offers to do what you're describing. The functionality you need is not too difficult to get the hang of. Even if you don't want to draw or paint in Photoshop, I've found the features it has very useful in putting sprites into a sprite sheet format, no matter where they were drawn.

If you want the simplest program to use for drawing pictures, MS Paint will have you covered. It'll certainly be sufficient for drawing what you need for tic-tac-toe.

If you find that your pixel art isn't up to your standards, I recommend trying a vector-based drawing program. Photoshop has this capability. In addition, the free [url=http://www.inkscape.org/]Inkscape[/url] is wonderful. The idea behind vector based drawing is that you draw with shapes, likes rectangles, curves, and circles rather than with dots. It may come more naturally to you.