No pixel is an island...

Started by
17 comments, last by KanonBaum 12 years, 11 months ago
RIP Steve :` (
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Advertisement

Get a really powerful magnet. The ones you use to clean tropical fish tanks are ideal. Hold it against the problem area for a few minutes.

It won't actually solve the problem but it does look fricking trippy. Probably doesn't work on modern flatscreens. What a loss to humanity that is.
The paths of the electrons from the electron guns to the glowing phosphor dots in the CRT are controlled by a pair of electromagnets (one for the X axis and one for the Y axis). Holding a magnet near the screen alters the path of the electrons, and can end up steering electrons intended to strike the red phosphor dots onto the green or blue phosphor dots, hence the physical distortion of the image and the crazy colours.

The shadow mask (which is intended to only let electrons from the red gun strike red phosphor dots, electrons from the green gun strike green phosphor dots and the electrons from the blue gun strike blue phosphor dots) is made of metal and can become magnetised by the presence of an external magnet, temporarily distorting the image. The degauss button produces an intense alternating magnetic field that demagnetises the shadow mask and undoes the effect. However, very strong magnets may physically distort the shadow mask, resulting in permanent damage. I wouldn't recommend holding a strong magnet near any monitor you're fond of.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

It's not dead

It's getting better.
No amount of druids and priests can resurrect a single pixel. One day, darn it! *sniffle*
I frequently revive dead LCD pixels with the proper application of pressure

I've got one that I haven't been able to get rid of permanently though, that was in the center of a 40x40ish pixel dead spot that occurred after I smacked a monitor with a keyboard :(
We all know how you feel ;(
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz
XFX ATI Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro USB 3.0
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB 1600MHz
THERMALTAKE V3
SEAGATE 500GB
WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64 Bit
RIP Steve
Owl, I rated you up to help you mourn. Also, because no one else would 8[
This is the most tragic and terrible thing to happen in the 21st century so far.
RIP Steve. (We grew up together)
I'm that imaginary number in the parabola of life.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement