Sign in to follow this  
jetushinobi

Need Help dunno what to do

Hello
im a newbie in this game developing thing... i confuse to decide where i should begin from,
and i dont know what is the proper language that suitable..,
is there anyone of you know what should i do??
I really need help here, because my dream is to be a great game developer.. but i dunno what to do.., :'(

Since you are asking which language to use, I would guess you haven't done any programming as of yet. I would jump into Java or C# for beginners, work on creating console based games such as random number generator, hangman, text-based RPG. Before you do those you need to learn the basics of the languages and remember it isn't about memorizing code, it is about understanding the language and why you would use what where. After about 6 months give graphics a shot, if you are finding that you just don't understand this or that, you might want to stick to console until you understand the language better.

Google will yield tons of links for learning any number of languages out there. I didn't recommend C++ because it is far more low-level compared to Java and C# it is actually considered mid-level language since it is a mix of both low-level and high-level. I don't want to confuse you so I will stop there, I would personally start with C# if I was just to get a grasp on how programming works, than after 6 months to a year check out XNA Game Studio it is an easy to use framework to get a graphical game up and running in no time and there are tons of tutorials on how to create games with it.

Once you have learned the basics of programming and storage containers, you could stick with your language you are currently using or you can goto using C++ which is the industry standard and I don't foresee it not being the standard for a long time still. You can jump right into C++ but it will be a rough start and probably get discouraged a lot. If you do go with C++ there are great tutorials out there to get started. Also a quick side note, if you are going to do mainly Windows development get Visual C# 2010 Express or if you choose C++, Visual C++ 2010 Express. If you are going for cross-platform try out Eclipse IDE with Java or C++, also I should have stated C# is a Windows language so don't worry about a cross-platform IDE to develop in. I hope my information helps you out and good luck to you.

hmmm I don't agree with you,Java or C# is a bad idea for beginners, I've worked on C# before C++ and it's much the same, only different is some advanced stuff that you don't touch in games...

JetuShinbi...start with "Game Maker" program, you will create great games by only drag and drop, and when you feel string and understood how games work, jump to the Game Maker Language (GML) that is you will program some parts of your game with a code similar to C++ syntax, when you work enough, and know what variables, structures, game loops are, go and read some good C++ book, like:

Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days..

then jump to Frank D. Luna's book

Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0

then to

Directx9_Graphics_The_Definitive_Guide_To_Direct_3D_-_Wordware_Publishing

when you finish those,you will be very good in games,. and you could learn anything more by yourself like Artificial Intelligence stuff, Physics, some Level Of Detail algorithms...these are easy when you know how things goes..

Good Luck :)

[quote name='Ninja2008' timestamp='1298512989' post='4778241']JetuShinbi...start with "Game Maker"[/quote]

Game Maker? Gross... my first language was dark basic back in the day. I had no trouble learning a language AND game development at the same time.

C# and C++... are... similar. But more importantly, XNA is easy. If you want to learn them separately, DON'T learn game development before programming. Do it the other way. Learn to do a text games in a console. THEN learn about the game loop, graphics, AI, etc.

There's no point in learning about the game loop if you don't know what a loop is <.<

Seriously, game maker won't teach you anything. Learn a language first. Java/C# is great. If you get serious about this, you'll probably hop around different languages till you find one that you "get". Don't get disheartened if you try and fail to learn one language. Try another. ^^

I wouldn't touch DirectX till you have been doing C++ for at least a year or you will find yourself overwhelmed very quickly. You are going to want to stick to learning the language before jumping into a graphics API. C# and after 6 months going to XNA probably your best bet, after you have dabbled with those for about a year or so, coming into C++ won't be nearly as difficult to get used to. I started in C++, than messed with C# for awhile and XNA, than because of school I had to jump back to C++ for the next 3 years on and off depending on my classes and load. Don't just buy books as the above poster said and expect to learn all about programming and game development that easy, I have read at least 6 books dedicated to programming in C++, a couple of books in C#, some AI/Physics books. Books only teach you the fundamentals of what you need to know, the rest comes with experience. The most knowledge I have achieved was by hands on working not just reading. Read source code, try not to copy and paste so much or rely to heavily on tutorials. Visual C++ or C# 2010 Express is FREE, Eclipse IDE is FREE, Googling is FREE, everything is at your fingertips without ever having to leave the computer.

Game Maker is such a waste of time to start out with. I have never done it but I know if I am not doing actual coding I don't get the satisfaction of creating my own game. I hate certain game engines just cause of that reason. Some leave it all up to their scripting language and no actual coding goes into the game, something I can't stand.

Ahh the were do I start threads...

I was once a wee lad in highschool wanting to learn to program. I was then pointed to Qbasic. A language similar to it now is python, which I am surprised that nobody mentioned. You can use the pygame addon to make some nice games. It also has an opengl (pyopengl) for 3d graphics.

So my recommendation is python/pygame. Easy to use language. I still use it for prototyping.

Thanks to all of you, for the tips.., it's really helpful
hope i can be a good game developer one day,, [img]http://public.gamedev.net/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

Best Regards,
jetushinobi. [img]http://public.gamedev.net/public/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif[/img]