Do people really help each other in this forum?

Started by
14 comments, last by Dawoodoz 13 years, 1 month ago
I am really angry about this. It seems to me that people in this forum never help each other. I posted a question twice but no one even view that topic. I don't understand why, could someone please give me a reason?
Advertisement
I find people to be very helpful here and have both recieved and given help many times. Judging from this post your attitude seems ok as does your English (bad attitude/difficult to understand puts people off). I've just checked your posts, both of which are the same question (bad idea). Stick to one post, bump it occasionally if there's no replies (things slip off the page and people don't see them). Try to include any new things you've tried since posting the question etc. Its just a matter of patience. I would say people need to know the solution to post but thats not true as many people will post questions/suggestions regardless of if they know the answer which is good.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

I find people to be very helpful here and have both recieved and given help many times. Judging from this post your attitude seems ok as does your English (bad attitude/difficult to understand puts people off). I've just checked your posts, both of which are the same question (bad idea). Stick to one post, bump it occasionally if there's no replies (things slip off the page and people don't see them). Try to include any new things you've tried since posting the question etc. Its just a matter of patience. I would say people need to know the solution to post but thats not true as many people will post questions/suggestions regardless of if they know the answer which is good.

I am really appreciate for your reply and I am really sorry if I have done anything that is impolite.

I just want to tell you four things:
1. My English is really bad, I am not a English native speaker. But I will do my best to improve it.
2. I did not use forums in the past because most forums in my country are very boring, as a result I don't know the "rules" of forums. I thought the reason that my posts got 0 view because I break some "Rule" of this forum without knowing it.
3. I really like gamedev.net and I come here to learn from you people. Before I register in this forum I have already read some articles here.
4. In the past when I got problems in programming I just solve it by myself. But this time I feel very frustrated because I really don't know how to solve that problem. Shadow map is a very basic algorithm but I just can't implemented it properly. That makes me feel realy upset.
Maybe there's a bug, cause I remember viewing your post yesterday and also checked it now, but it still says 0 views...
As for the answer to your problem, I have no idea, as I'm not even sure what exactly the problem is. Try editing your post to include a couple of images of the problem.

Also, being angry cause no one helps you is dumb. This is a free forum with people helping others for free, so it's really up to you to make people feel interested in your problem and want to spend their own time helping you.

One problem with your post is that reading and analyzing your whole shader code for someone that never saw it before, and can't test it, is 10x more work than it is for you that has it up and running. It's almost like you're asking someone to do hard work for you since you can't be bothered to do easy work, which will put most people off.

To make it easier for people to help you, try making a minimal example contained in a single code-box (or max one source + one shader), that we can paste into VC++ and press F5 to immediately see the same results you do. Combine this with a couple of images of the problem to get people interested enough to run your code. This also has the benefit of making everything more clear to yourself, and might help you find a mistake you have overlooked. I have often started to compose a post, and while working on making my problem 100% clear to others reading it, I have also made it clearer to myself, and seen the answer before having to actually post.
Simple questions get answered fairly quickly, more complex ones that require people to have both knowledge and lots of spare time will take longer, be patient and hope for the best.

It does however seem like the activity on the site has gone down after the redesign.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
I can totally understand that a particular problem can drive you up the wall. My suggestion is to take a break from the project for a couple of days. Trying to solve the problem while frustrated can be counter productive, and can aggravate the situation even more. I think its probably a good idea not to hit the forums during those times, as it can affect the tone of your posts a great deal. I've done this rookie mistake before, and didn't get me anywhere.

Basically take a break, revisit the problem when you are calm and collected, then perhaps ask for assistance. If you do ask for help, explain the problem in detail, list what you have tried to solve the problem (important), and provide code snippets that is specific to the problem (if you can). If applicable, screen shots can help, too. Asking someone else to debug a code dump with a vague description of the problem won't get you far.
Also, keep it in mind that not everyone is knowledgeable in the subject, and those that are "in the know" probably missed your thread, or perhaps don't have the time look into it.

My general rule is, when seeking assistance, help others to help you.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad
No they don't.

Just kidding. Generally they do unless it something been asked a million times (e.g. what's the best engine <--- answer to that is 99% you pick the right engine for the project)
Thank you for your opinions. I am really sorry for those impolite words.

I will try my best to make that problem simple.
The forum seems to have more rants and monologues than practical answers since some times
---------------------------------
FAR Colony http://farcolony.blogspot.com/
The forum doesn't seem to show any views until their is a reply to a post. I don't know if this is a global problem or just a an issue for some browsers or users. I just know that I have never seen a post with zero replies show that there has been any views.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement