• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr Pain

The future of Power Render

This topic is 6228 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

You said that Beta 9 is likely to be one of the last betas. This brings up a couple of questions in my mind. 1. Once PR4 is actually released, what then? Start working on PR5? 1a. Will owners of PR4 have access to PR5, or will we have to purchase another license? 1b. Any features/enhancements for PR5 bouncing around in your head yet? 2. Is the terrain engine for PR4 pretty much the way it will be at release? 2a. Will the non-wrapping feature be implemented? 2b. Any chance of dynamically loading terrain? 2c. Will the large-terrain texture problem be addressed? (small texture stretched onto large terrain) Thanks, Dave

Advertisement
>1. Once PR4 is actually released, what then? Start working on >PR5?

Yes, but I won''t be working on it as heavily as I have in the past few months. There is always something new to work on.

>1a. Will owners of PR4 have access to PR5, or will we have to >purchase another license?

Licensing is per product, not per version released. You''ll be able to download updates.

>1b. Any features/enhancements for PR5 bouncing around in your >head yet?

Bug fixes, more examples, along networking and physics that I haven''t touched yet.

>2. Is the terrain engine for PR4 pretty much the way it will be >at release?

Yes.

>2a. Will the non-wrapping feature be implemented?

Yes, although I don''t know how useful it will be unless you add some way to page in new terrain.

>2b. Any chance of dynamically loading terrain?
>2c. Will the large-terrain texture problem be addressed? (small >texture stretched onto large terrain)

Terrain engine is staying how it is. Those changes would require rewriting portions of the editor and I''m not going to do that so close to the final release.

quote:
Original post by ChrisE
>2b. Any chance of dynamically loading terrain?
>2c. Will the large-terrain texture problem be addressed? (small >texture stretched onto large terrain)

Terrain engine is staying how it is. Those changes would require rewriting portions of the editor and I''m not going to do that so close to the final release.

Ok, but how about in PR5? Think you''ll be changing the terrain engine then?

The reason I ask, is I need to know if I need to implement my own terrain engine with these features. However, I''m not in a hurry, and I don''t want to waste time doing something you plan to do in the future (even the relatively distant future).

Thanks again

Perhaps. I think it will need an option to use tiles again if you want really large terrains.

It should be fairly easy to remove the existing landscape routines and keep the rest of the high level engine and editor code. My goal for this version was to make something like Halo or Motocross madness, with soft shadows drawn on the terrain.

In the future I''ll probably use projected textures and/or shadow volumes. The engine as it is now can draw multiple soft shadows and terrain in a single pass, which works on the oldest graphics cards.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!