• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cty41

What exactly happens when a device lost

This topic is 2759 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all guys, these days I just rewrite my app and now I am rewriting the texture part, and read about every usage of texture type, like D3DUSAGE, D3DPOOL, yeah I am pretty sure that I understand how to use them ,now I am cuirous about some dumb questions ...like how lost device happens..
Let me explain this,(if I am wrong at any place, correct me :P)when we create some resource live on video memory or AGP memory, we will face lost device problem, and I consider thatwhat we lost in d3d9 is the conrol power of video hardware-> we do not lost the exact IDirect3DDevice9 object, but lost the control power that IDirect3DDevice9 object have. Just like we push Ctrl+Tab,we maybe switch to another app need video hardware.
But why these video resource lost? or this is a os behavior, that once a d3d9 app is kicked out into background, those resoure that belongs to it will be destoryed?
but in dx doc, it says: "In Direct3D 9, vertex shaders and pixel shaders don't need to be re-created after reset." That is why ? For example, if launch 2 d3d app, both rendered with shaders(but different), and I switch from one game to another , is that means the shader will be keeped in some other places?

If any buddies can resolve my puzzle, I will be appreciated~~

Best regards,
Frank

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!