c++ on mac

Started by
3 comments, last by daviangel 13 years, 1 month ago
what's the deal with c++ on mac? i know they are pushing objective c, but can you use c++ if you want? i want to make something for the mac app store in c++.
Advertisement
Since this is the "For Beginners" forum, I googled it for you:
Writing C++ Programs on Mac OS X

what's the deal with c++ on mac? i know they are pushing objective c, but can you use c++ if you want? i want to make something for the mac app store in c++.

Most of their APIs are Objective-C based, so you're going to have to deal with it for creating a UI for your app (making windows, buttons, menus, etc) and interacting with various services. Other than that though, you're free to implement all your business/game logic entirely in C++.
Just remember to rename your source files to "*.mm" instead of "*.m" otherwise the compiler will complain... if I remember correctly

[quote name='ms75214' timestamp='1299263938' post='4781828']

Most of their APIs are Objective-C based, so you're going to have to deal with it for creating a UI for your app (making windows, buttons, menus, etc) and interacting with various services. Other than that though, you're free to implement all your business/game logic entirely in C++.
[/quote]
Yeah this is basically what Carmack did when he ported Wolfenstein for the iPhone.
Most of the code he used id the original code from years ago but he still needed to use some Objective-C where required.
You should really get around to learning Objective-C if you are going to do a lot of Mac work though.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement