• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Khaile

Direct3d + Photoshop = BOOM!

This topic is 6186 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a problem with my D3D application. If I run Photoshop (or similar programs) in the background when I start my program, the screen goes blue with the message KMODE_UNHANDLED_EXCEPTION (or something like that), and the computer restarts. Does anybody else have the same problem? I''m running win2k, if that helps. Thanks

Advertisement
My best guess would be a graphics card driver issue. Does the bluescreen mention a filename? In any case you should try to obtain updated drivers from the manufacturers page.

Photoshop pillages most of the available memory on your computer. In fact it takes a large majority of your memory, and uses it exclusively until the application is exited. This allows photoshop to dynamicaly allocate memory needed to run the plugins, filters, and to load huge images. My suggestion is to close photoshop

Yeh, There shouldn''t be any real reason to leave it open. It doesn''t take that long to reopen it if you need. However if it is a problem with it hoggin'' memory you can try somthing. Go to
prefernces and drop the memory usage down do a lower % on PC
or MB number for Mac then restart PShop. If you are using it for computer only graphic needs, you probably don''t need much mem. Photoshop defaults to using 75% of the system mem when its running. The leftover isn''t much to run a system on if you dont have a lot of RAM.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I agree that closing photoshop is an easy solution... for me. Because the truth is: if it happens to me, it happens to someone else. If somebody starts my game and the computer crashes, will he blame photoshop (or any similar program? I would guess not.

re Arild Fines: If it traced it back to a dll, it would be good if it could tell which one in the blue screen, because all it says are some numbers and something about physical memory and KMODE_UNHANDLED_EXCEPTION.

Maybe not related but the only time I received that message on Win2K was when I tried to install my modem. I thins it was a problem with some driver accessing a serial port. I reinstalled Win2K (formatting the drive) and then everything wnt fine.

Guimo

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!