• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
iseneirik

Undefined reference to 'SDL_"lots of different stuff"

This topic is 2747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just started on the book "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming" but I', having problems with the chapter 1 code.

I use Code::Blocks and when i try to compile the source for the first example program these errors pop up in the "Build messages" section:

obj\Debug\main.o||In function `SDL_main':|
G:\Programmering\Game Programming OpenGL\simple\main.cpp|106|undefined reference to `SDL_Init'|
G:\Programmering\Game Programming OpenGL\simple\main.cpp|112|undefined reference to `SDL_GL_SetAttribute'|
G:\Programmering\Game Programming OpenGL\simple\main.cpp|113|undefined reference to `SDL_GL_SetAttribute'|
G:\Programmering\Game Programming OpenGL\simple\main.cpp|114|undefined reference to `SDL_GL_SetAttribute'|
G:\Programmering\Game Programming OpenGL\simple\main.cpp|115|undefined reference to `SDL_GL_SetAttribute'|
G:\Programmering\Game Programming OpenGL\simple\main.cpp|116|undefined reference to `SDL_GL_SetAttribute'|
obj\Debug\main.o:G:\Programmering\Game Programming OpenGL\simple\main.cpp|117|more undefined references to `SDL_GL_SetAttribute' follow|
obj\Debug\main.o||In function `SDL_main':|
G:\Programmering\Game Programming OpenGL\simple\main.cpp|120|undefined reference to `SDL_WM_SetCaption'|
G:\Programmering\Game Programming OpenGL\simple\main.cpp|123|undefined reference to `SDL_SetVideoMode'|
G:\Programmering\Game Programming OpenGL\simple\main.cpp|131|undefined reference to `SDL_Quit'|
G:\Programmering\Game Programming OpenGL\simple\main.cpp|141|undefined reference to `SDL_PollEvent'|
G:\Programmering\Game Programming OpenGL\simple\main.cpp|162|undefined reference to `SDL_GL_SwapBuffers'|
G:\Programmering\Game Programming OpenGL\simple\main.cpp|165|undefined reference to `SDL_Quit'|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.1\..\..\..\libmingw32.a(main.o):main.c|| undefined reference to `WinMain@16'|
||=== Build finished: 14 errors, 0 warnings ===|

I've spent some time trying to figure this out.

I'm really exited about starting OpenGL, so some help would be awesome :D

-IsNe

Advertisement
You aren't linking to the SDL libraries correctly. I don't remember how to do this on CodeBlocks, but if you go to the compiler options there should be a tab about linking options. Add the following lines:

-lSDL -lSDLmain.

Make sure that the $YOUR_SDL_FOLDER/lib path is in the library search path. This can also be set in the compiler options dialog.

Thanks, that got rid of some, now i got this:

||Warning: .drectve `/manifestdependency:"type='win32' name='Microsoft.VC80.CRT' version='8.0.50727.762' processorArchitecture='x86' publicKeyToken='1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b'" /DEFAULTLIB:"MSVCRT" /DEFAULTLIB:"OLDNAMES" ' unrecognized|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.1\..\..\..\SDLmain.lib(.\release_nostdio\SDL_win32_main.obj):(.text[_main]+0x5)||undefined reference to `__security_cookie'|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.1\..\..\..\SDLmain.lib(.\release_nostdio\SDL_win32_main.obj):(.text[_main]+0x65)||undefined reference to `_alloca_probe_16'|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.1\..\..\..\SDLmain.lib(.\release_nostdio\SDL_win32_main.obj):(.text[_main]+0x80)||undefined reference to `@__security_check_cookie@4'|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.1\..\..\..\SDLmain.lib(.\release_nostdio\SDL_win32_main.obj):(.text[_main]+0x8c)||undefined reference to `SDL_strlcpy'|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.1\..\..\..\SDLmain.lib(.\release_nostdio\SDL_win32_main.obj):(.text[_main]+0xa2)||undefined reference to `SDL_GetError'|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.1\..\..\..\SDLmain.lib(.\release_nostdio\SDL_win32_main.obj):(.text[_main]+0xbe)||undefined reference to `@__security_check_cookie@4'|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.1\..\..\..\SDLmain.lib(.\release_nostdio\SDL_win32_main.obj):(.text[_main]+0xe7)||undefined reference to `SDL_SetModuleHandle'|
16]+0x5)||undefined reference to `__security_cookie'|
16]+0x43)||undefined reference to `_alloca_probe_16'|
16]+0x58)||undefined reference to `SDL_strlcpy'|
16]+0x72)||undefined reference to `_alloca_probe_16'|
16]+0x9b)||undefined reference to `@__security_check_cookie@4'|
||=== Build finished: 12 errors, 1 warnings ===|

Found the problem, but now i got this:

c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.1\..\..\..\libmingw32.a(main.o):main.c|| undefined reference to `WinMain@16'|
||=== Build finished: 1 errors, 0 warnings ===|

googled it, but really can't find any solution that helps.
I am using Code::Blocks btw, and i can post source-code if that would be of help

SDL provides SDLmain.lib which provides OS specific main implementations, such as WinMain(). The main() you write is actually #defined as SDL_main(). You need to link -lSDLmain aswell.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!