• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
relo999

turn based isometric flash game

This topic is 2757 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm new here so if I place this post wrong, sorry.

I was planning to make a turn based isometric flash game, like the title said. I have made some small games in flash before but never very complicated ones. I was wondering if somebody could help me with this. I don't expect code just written down for me but more guidelines as I do not know where to begin or what to keep in mind and such.. So any idea's, tips or hints would be welcome. I'm gonna explain the game so you'll know what the idea is.
Turn based isometric game where we control a hero. every turn he can move some squares en do stuff (like moving, attacking,...)
There would be enemy's (zombies, dragons, kobolds and such) and different lvl's. Objectives and such.
I need some pointers in all directions(as I never did something with isometric game creation). I can't seem to find any good tutorials on these on the Internet but that's probably just me, all help is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
There's no definite answer for this. One way to do it is to have a main game class which implements a state machine for the various state of your game, like displaying available actions, waiting for a player action, running AI, playing animations and so on. You then react to events based on the current game state and move to different states based on these events. That's for the logic aspect of the game.

For rendering, you may want to use an isometric library like as3isolib or make your own if you feel up to it. You then glue the logic and rendering together and you should have something good going.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!