• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
milkncat

UDK for beginner

This topic is 2204 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there :)

I was wondering, is Unreal Development Kit is good for someone who has tiny programming( a bit of Python) experience? I'm a motion graphics designer and want to change my career, its just not for me anymore..
I've a good knowledge of Maya so i thought UDK would be familier.

And, one stupid question, is it able to make a whole game in UDK? Do we need to know C++(i'm scared) ?

thanx a million

Advertisement
There are parts of the UDK toolkit that require no programming, though it sounds like you might be comfortable with scripting as you've dabbled in Python.

And yes, you can make an entire game with the UDK. If you want to create custom artwork, though, you'll need 3rd party tools (i.e. Photoshop/Maya).

There are parts of the UDK toolkit that require no programming, though it sounds like you might be comfortable with scripting as you've dabbled in Python.

And yes, you can make an entire game with the UDK. If you want to create custom artwork, though, you'll need 3rd party tools (i.e. Photoshop/Maya).

or GIMP/Blender.

Fair enough, I meant those as an example, not a standard.
Point being: UDK doesn't (to my knowledge) provide you with an image editor or a modeling tool, unless you count the level editor since it can deform terrain.

UDK does not use C++ unless you want to load external libraries in which case although the library may be written in C++ (and most of the default UDK ones are) your not actually writing any C++ code. It uses its own scripting language called unrealscript for making your game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!