• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kaktusas2598

Which OpenGL version learn?

This topic is 2662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm learning SDL and planning to jump to OpenGL. I have seen OpenGl tutorials in NEHE, where i want to learn, but they use OpenGl 2.1 and current version is 4.1. So which version to learn?
Also one little question, can I jump to DX later?
P.S. My PC is old, and only supports DX9

Advertisement
If your computer is older, it won't support 4.x in the first place. You'll probably want to check which OpenGL version you can use with something like the OpenGL extensions viewer.

It sounds like you're probably going to be stuck with 2.1, but if you do things the "right" way (vbos, generic shader attributes, no fixed function stuff), it should be fairly trivial to switch to a newer OpenGL version as you need.

There's nothing to stop you learning DX as well (in fact it's probably a good idea).

If your computer is older, it won't support 4.x in the first place. You'll probably want to check which OpenGL version you can use with something like the OpenGL extensions viewer.

It sounds like you're probably going to be stuck with 2.1, but if you do things the "right" way (vbos, generic shader attributes, no fixed function stuff), it should be fairly trivial to switch to a newer OpenGL version as you need.

There's nothing to stop you learning DX as well (in fact it's probably a good idea).

Ok , using OpenGL extenstion viewer it looks what 2.1( and older) version is only supported :( But if I know one version, I can quickly learn other, right?

were I you, I would use 2.1 just because it's the version the tutorial is written in.

It gets terribly confusing when something is changed in a newer version that makes you have to search 20 other very technical sites to figure out why the function you called doesn't work the way you expect it to.

One thing worth mentioning is that, if you are following a tutorial, don't follow it in a project you intend to keep. Follow the tutorial in it's own project, and use what you learn in that project in other projects. That way you can isolate problems related to the tutorial to things that are relevant to the tutorial. It would also presumably be your first time working with it, so it's best to consider it a prototype.

edit: don't follow the tutorial in a project you intend to keep the first time you follow the tutorial is better advice. It's a good idea to use it as a reference after that anyway.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!