• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bababooey

Dynamically Flowing Meshes

This topic is 2835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

G'day, graphics enthusiasts.

Ever since I started playing StarCraft 2, I've paid attention to the models used for the units, and have been able to imagine how they did it with meshes representing parts of the models with static animations rendered from vertex/index buffers (in Direct3D terms). However, there is one unit that has a particularly cool effect: the corruptors. They are flying creatures that have these dreadlock-like tails that seem to flow behind them, forming a wavy whip-like pattern that is dependent on the direction they're moving and facing. You could have a dozen of them on the screen, and each ones' tails will be different in relation to their body, so it doesn't seem that they're all drawing from the same mesh's vertex buffer.

I don't suppose they would be dynamically creating a new vertex buffer on the graphics card for each individual unit and updating all its vertices every frame, so how might one do this? Is there an article about it somewhere?

Advertisement
Vertex shader that is moving them procedurally then a nice fragment shader to make it pretty. You can find a lot of relevant resources if you google for "water shader". Specifically you want information about the vertex shaders that people use to create waves.

This gets you: everyone using the same VBO, everyone with different sinusoidal motions

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!