Dungeon Eye - Eye of the Beholder II remake

Started by
6 comments, last by Zethariel 13 years, 1 month ago
Hi

I'm making an open source remak of Eye of the Beholder II. The project name is Dungeon Eye. you can have a look at the project at www.mimicprod.net and download the latest release. For the fans (if any ??) you have a SVN access. The game is based on a home made engine in C# and OpenGL. Pictures are better than words, so :

ingame-01.png

ingame-04.png

This is for the technical part.

I'm looking for new ideas, wishes to add in futur releases. One think I would like to add is a kind of multiplayer experience. But any way, here's a short list of ideas :
  • Coop : 2 players can player in the same dungeon. For example, one player pull down a lever, stay on a floor plate while the other player pass through the opened gate. Player vs Player : Each player must kill the other one.
  • Capture the flag : One player must have in his possession an object and keep it as long as possible
  • Tower Defense : One player is The bad one and send his minions. Each player must destroy monsters and then kill the evil monster.
  • [Your idea here] : ...

But I'm open to any other ideas, such as :
  • Merchant : You can buy/sell items
  • City : Add city map
  • Tavern : enrole new hero, find new quest

I'm open to any suggestion, criticism.
- Iliak -
[ ArcEngine: An open source .Net gaming framework ]
[ Dungeon Eye: An open source remake of Eye of the Beholder II ]
Advertisement

• Coop : 2 players can player in the same dungeon. For example, one player pull down a lever, stay on a floor plate while the other player pass through the opened gate. Player vs Player : Each player must kill the other one.
  • Capture the flag : One player must have in his possession an object and keep it as long as possible
  • Tower Defense : One player is The bad one and send his minions. Each player must destroy monsters and then kill the evil monster.
You are completelly missing the point why Dungeon Master and Eye of Beholder were fun... You are either making a remake of the old games because you think these were great or making a new and unique genre because you think these sux. You need to make up your mind.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

You are completelly missing the point why Dungeon Master and Eye of Beholder were fun... You are either making a remake of the old games because you think these were great or making a new and unique genre because you think these sux. You need to make up your mind.

No, you misunderstood my post... I want to make a remake because I think this was a great game. What I want to know is if this would be possible to add something to this game. I have my vision and I would have others one.As I said in the title, see this post as a request for ideas.
- Iliak -
[ ArcEngine: An open source .Net gaming framework ]
[ Dungeon Eye: An open source remake of Eye of the Beholder II ]
I never got very far on the EYE OF THE BEHOLDER game when it came out so many years ago. I actually miss the game. But oh well. to each its own I guess. Anyways I enjoyed the game but what I didn't like was there wasn't enough health for me to rely on to safe my character for the life of me. I also got frustrated with no map in the area. I also thought at the time if the dungeon area was the only place in the game. Those are my two suggestions for your remake.

Suggestions:
A merchant
A dungeon map or at least put a map in the game some where in the dungeon or something that tells the players he or she has been there already instead of getting annoyed and frustrated of being completely lost.

Besides, like I said, I didn't complete the game or get any where being a new gamer for that game at that time.
My question is, are you making a remake or a game based on that one? Honestly I did not play the game, don't get me wrong, this is not criticism or anything. But if the game didn't have coop, CTF and other features previously, consider making it a game stylised on Eye of the Beholder instead of calling it a remake. Much safer around fans and allows you to incorporate your own ideas that might improve the already known and loved ones. If the source of the game is open, then remaking can be done, if not, then it is - again - safer to call it a game inspired by that particular title (that applies even to freeware games mind you!).

Anyway, I'm always happy to see games incorporate Coop and other fun multiplayer modes, so go for it man! Support all the way from my end :) maybe consider a Dungeon Keeper insired mode as well? The heroes bunker themselves inside a maze they make and fend off creeps or other enemies. No wait, that sounds like a TD. You know what I mean :P (I hope)
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)
Will you be remaking the original characters and monsters or creating new graphic details of new owns for the game?
Anyway, I'm always happy to see games incorporate Coop and other fun multiplayer modes, so go for it man! Support all the way from my end :) maybe consider a Dungeon Keeper insired mode as well?
That's my point, you have to decide if you want to make the game for Zethariel who never played the original, never fallen in love with it and want to make it into Dungeon Keeper or for me who played it and loved it and would not stand it being turned into some Coop tower defence :D

A completely different game or a remake? You have to choose one. Because right now you are not making happy neither me nor Zethariel :)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

A completely different game or a remake? You have to choose one. Because right now you are not making happy neither me nor Zethariel :)

I beg to differ :P I'd feel good with any game, as long as it is being developed and not just touched and left. That just breaks my heart. And I guess we both agree that making up one's mind about what the core of the game is will be the first vital step to starting the project ;)
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement