Fulltime game programming

Started by
24 comments, last by Life Path 22 years, 7 months ago

This BrainTwister?

http://www.sapphiregames.com/btwister/

Perhaps if Life Path posted a link to the game, or even just the title and publisher, more of us would believe him.
Advertisement
Mr. Ybox,

Nice to hear about your contract with eGames.
I also got experience with eGames and all I can say,
it''s in no way possible what Mr. Life Path says.
Because of the pro rata formula. I already explained it.
I find it amazing that so many people are thinking
that what this Mr. Life Path said is happened.
Think twice and again. It''s not possible.
If it was possible I would be already a very rich man.
Also Mr. Life Path didn''t give any reply for now.
So where is the prove if it was true?

Activision Value is busy at the moment with assambling a games collection, what do you think what the author would earn? It''s a joke of Activision Value. There was a topic a while ago, check it.

About the guy Life Path, he is a joke. If the guy is right, it would mean that the big guys of EA etc. are doing something wrong. The market doesn''t work on this way.
It''s right that collections sells very well.
Especially eGames collections. That''s why they are so popular in the big retail chains. But eGames uses the pro rata formula.
To be honest I don''t agree with it. eGames became famous eGames, because of the work of us, and what do they give "pocket money".
So it isn''t fair, but that''s buisness. Of course they do the marketing etc. but the author did the developing, right.

So why do they give a little to the developer?
If they don''t do it, they are earning not enough to run there
buisness. Especially if there are bad periods, they need to have a money buffer. Otherwise they could fire some of there staff in the bad periods. This is not total correct, because they got an investor. But they need to impress the investors with money. And they are a public company. So that''s for a part of the answer.
But again the formula generates so little that eGames must shame it self. Without these little developers they weren''t so big as today. But there are enough "school kids" who like to earn pocket money. So that''s why this is possible, isn''t it.
If you don''t agree with there payment, they are not interested anymore in you. There are enough little developers they could find. If the most or better all of those developers, were
against this not fair formula system, low royalty rate, we could
perhaps build a buisness.

A clue, inside information of eGames, there collection (and there are many of them) sells around the world about 100.000 units a year. If the formula was build honestly every developer
could earn a year salary of a programmer for only one game on the collection. And eGames would also be rich.

So why is this? Publishers don''t respect little developers.
That''s it.

Hey all, check egames.com for the BrainTwister I created (under the galaxy of games green edition). Also, could someone please explain what this ''pro rata'' thing is? Thanks all.
-yBox
Ybox, your story is even better for me than LifePath''s, because I can seriously believe it could also happen to me And since around here money for a geforce3 + some memory is a good payed 1 month full time job this makes me very happy.

I did find a reference of your game on egames.com, but no more. Can you give us more details?
Hey Diodor,
Firstly, it is not a full-month''s pay (atleast in Canada.) But it still is a start !!! I don''t have a web-page right now, but I might set one up so that I can post some screen-shots soon. BTW, I am sure you are going to succeed in a much bigger way. Just remember, don''t let the whiners and nay-sayers get you down. Push forward and you WILL succeed.
Heh, thanks Ybox. That''s how I feel about making games too (although the nay-sayers may have a point, I don''t really care).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement