• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Collision Detection Performance

This topic is 2568 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have implemented a collision detection system that tests a moving sphere against a triangle soup (moving sphere shrunk to ray and triangles inflated by minkowski sum). I use a KD-tree acceleration structure to find triangles near a given sphere.

I did some performance tests, and I drop 800 random spheres with some hacky physics gravity onto a test scene. I am getting about 30 frames per second in release mode.

My question is if this is good performance or not based on others experience, or can I do significantly better? I have not started micro optimizations yet. But even doubling performance isn't really going to get me where I want to be. I really can't afford more than 5 ms per frame for collision detection, and I probably need more like 2000 spheres to do the simulation I want to do.

Taking advantage of an extra core could be a big win, but I still need it to work well on just using 1 core.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement