• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sefiroths

software that divide a large image into more little

This topic is 2646 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i'd like to develop an effect like googlemap when you scale an object:
when i zoom in, the map become large, and is replaced by new ones more detailed.
i thought to divide my image in many more little loading the detailed or not basing on the zoom.
i'd like to know if there is another solution, and if exist a software that divide the image in an array of images.
thanks

Advertisement
What they do is basically LOD (Level Of Detail) / Mip-Mapping.

You can't typically split up one very large image, because in most cases that wouldn't get you sufficient resolution for the most detailed views. In general, you'd do the reverse, take many detailed images of small areas and stitch them together. For lesser-detailed views (zoomed out) you typically would cut the resolution of these detailed images in half, and past them together in a 2x2 grid to end up with a new image of the same size as the detailed tiles, but covering 4x the area.

When you zoom in, you just choose tiles that correspond to the correct LOD -- optionally, if you're in between LODs you can select the two nearest (one a bit too far, and one a bit too near) and them do a weighted blend between them. In texture-speak this is trilinear filtering.

Google Maps does not split a large bitmap into smaller ones, nor merging smaller bitmaps into a single large bitmap. All of those tiles have been created at the resolution they are representing. They are individually picked using Quad Keys.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!