• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pablo_ivan57

Starting Mobile game development

This topic is 2831 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I'm trying to get started on the mobile game development world, I have developed iPhone and Android applications using their respective SDKs, so I'm quite confortable with both java and Objective-C. But I really want to develop more 3d based apps and games on both platforms, that's why I have been checking some books on 3D programming for the iPhone. However I'm quite lost, since I have never done game programming before I found myself confused with basic concepts (I think...) like game loops, rendering pipeline, physics, etc. Also since I don't know well a 3d modeling tool(well..Blender a little bit) I found nearly impossible to implement a game the way it's shown on these books.... using basically just vertexes on static structures. So that's why I wanted to ask you wich tools should I focus learning to start being productive.
Basically what I was told is to focus on learning a 3d modeling tool, I have posibilities on using 3D Studio Max so I think that I start with this one...or I should better stick with Blender since it's openSource and there are a lot of resources for iOS using it.

Well next I wanted to ask you If you think I should learn a game engine.... thinking about Unity 3D since it's popular (not so expensive) and could find lots of resources to learn quick. Of course there are other game engines like Sio2 for iOS or Torque3D that I'm considering too.

However since having already looked at some of the 3D book focused on iOS or Android. I'm considering learning more about the basics of game development (rendering, design, physics, IA...etc) than focusing on these platforms right now. So that's why I would like some guidence on the tools and book I should check in order to get the necessary background and feel confortable developing games for these mobile devices.
I know this kind of question is always asked...so I'm really sorry about that, but I really need some guidance to stop reading books and tutorials about different technologies and getting nowhere instead of focusing in just one and start doing some interesting programs.

Thanks a lot.

Advertisement
I have done some 3d programming with opengl on android. it is not excessively hard to get. Pretty much i mostly learned from the android nehe tutorials. Good stuff to get the basics down.

http://insanitydesign.com/wp/projects/nehe-android-ports/

Since it is opengl es, the iphone uses it too. It should be pretty easy to translate.

As for creating models with 3d software, I used blender to make my models, and skin them using it UV mapping software. I would then export the model in an .OBJ file. I had to create a class to parse the OBJ file and translate it to make the vertices and UV data for Opengl to use. Luckily one of the nehe examples includes how to open a text file to parse. A good learning experience for me. :)

Good luck!

As said Android and the iPhone use OpenGL ES. The nice thing about this is your rendering code will not have to change because the way the Java OpenGL API work and the C OpenGL API work is the same you just call the functions. So a book on OpenGL ES and the Appropriate documentation provided by Apple and Google for their SDK's should be more then enough to get the ball rolling. You already have experience with the 2 languages so a iPhone or Android book will just slow you down use the Docs and a decent OpenGL ES book and you are good to go. Keep in mind the devices tho if you go with OpenGL ES 2.0 you need to be careful because only higher end Android Devices support it and only the 3GS + iPhone 4 + iPad + new generation iPod Touch support GLES 2.0.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!