• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jarwulf

Class recognition

This topic is 2755 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a class called UIManager that I want to use but I'm having trouble getting it recognized in the subcomponents of the program. The error says its not declared.

The file with the class is included in Demo.hpp

#include "MenuState.hpp"
#include "GameStateII.h"
#include "UIManager.h"

//|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

class DemoApp
{
public:
DemoApp();
~DemoApp();

void startDemo();
UIManager SMEEUIManager;//addition
private:
AppStateManager* m_pAppStateManager;
bool m_bShutdown;
};

Once the program is started startDemo() gets into the OgreFramework class

void DemoApp::startDemo()
{
new OgreFramework();
OgreFramework::getSingletonPtr()->initOgre("AdvancedOgreFramework", 0, 0);

Once in the OgreFramework class I try to use it but I get a message that SMEEUIManager is not declared

void OgreFramework::initOgre(Ogre::String wndTitle, OIS::KeyListener *pKeyListener, OIS::MouseListener *pMouseListener)
{
SMEEUIManager.UILoader();//addition

}

Maybe the problem is that OgreFramework is created on the fly?

Advertisement
My C++ is rusty (and was never that great to begin with), but based on the code you posted:

Since SMEEUIManager is declared in the definition for DemoApp objects, wouldn't you have to call it via an instantiated object? DemoApp.SMEEUIManager.UILoader(), for example? Or you could pass a pointer to SMEEUIManager as an argument.

I could be wrong, but even if I am, I don't think that dynamically creating an object prohibits you from accessing variables.

You declare an instance of UIManager inside the DemoApp-class with the name SMEEUIManager.

Then you are trying to access it from the OgreFramework-class which does not contain
any member variable with the name SMEEUIManager of the type UIManager.

Either move UIManager-variable to the OgreFramework-class or just manage
the loading of the ui (UILoader-method) after you call the initOgre-method.
Or, alternatively, pass a reference of the variable as a paremeter to the initOgre-method.

Hidden

You declare an instance of UIManager inside the DemoApp-class with the name SMEEUIManager.

Then you are trying to access it from the OgreFramework-class which does not contain
any member variable with the name SMEEUIManager of the type UIManager.

Either move UIManager-variable to the OgreFramework-class or just manage
the loading of the ui (UILoader-method) after you call the initOgre-method.
Or, alternatively, pass a reference of the variable as a paremeter to the initOgre-method.

On top of all that, you are trying to access what is probably a null pointer, as it is a pointer to the UIManager, and not a UIManager itself. Also, because it is a pointer you should be using -> rather than .

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!