• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
iamstrange14

Seg Fault in SDL_main()

This topic is 2757 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm having some trouble with SDL. For whatever reason, my code will compile, but when run, it seg faults almost immediately. According to gdb, the seg fault occurs in SDL_main().
The first call I have in my main() function is to printf, and not even that gets executed.
I'm using mingw gcc to compile, and I'm linking with -lmingw32, -lSDLmain, -lSDL, and -lSDL_image if that helps at all.\

Thanks in advance for any help! =]

My main function:
int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
printf("1");
//variables
unsigned int i; //for loops
unsigned int j;

//sets sprite sheets up
for( i = 0; i <3; i++){
for (j = 0; j<3; j++){
pieceRect[i+j]->x = 200*j;
pieceRect[i+j]->y = 200*i;
pieceRect[i+j]->w = 200;
pieceRect[i+j]->h = 200;
}
}

//sets up locations
for(i = 0; i<3; i++){
for(j = 0; j<3; j++){
locations[j] = i+j;
}
}
//initialize SDL
if(init() == -1){
return -1;
}
printf("4");
//Load image
image == loadImage("bird.jpg");
if (image == NULL){
return -1;
}
printf("5");
//main loop
while(running == 1){
while (SDL_PollEvent(&event)){
parseEvent(&event);
}

//blitBoard();
SDL_Flip(screen);
}

//clean up, clean up, everybody do their share
SDL_FreeSurface(image);
SDL_FreeSurface(screen);

SDL_Quit();
return 0;
}

Advertisement

Do you have any globals? In particular global classes? Something with a constructor?

I do have some globals, they're in the code block below. However, no classes.

//globals
SDL_Surface* screen = NULL; // base surface
int running = 0;

SDL_Rect* pieceRect[9]; //sprite sheet location
int locations[3][3]; //mapping of the pieces
SDL_Surface* image;

SDL_Event event;

[quote name='nobodynews' timestamp='1299718410' post='4783804']
Do you have any globals? In particular global classes? Something with a constructor?

I do have some globals, they're in the code block below. However, no classes.

//globals
SDL_Surface* screen = NULL; // base surface
int running = 0;

SDL_Rect* pieceRect[9]; //sprite sheet location
int locations[3][3]; //mapping of the pieces
SDL_Surface* image;

SDL_Event event;

[/quote]

pieceRect is an array of uninitialised pointers. That would be the first thing I'd check.

Also, your first nested for loop under the comment "//sets sprite sheets up" looks dodgey. The indices [i+j] look like it might not be what you are intending there - but that's just a guess.

pieceRect is an array of uninitialised pointers. That would be the first thing I'd check.

Ah! that was it! Thank you veryy much!

Also, your first nested for loop under the comment "//sets sprite sheets up" looks dodgey. The indices [i+j] look like it might not be what you are intending there - but that's just a guess.
[/quote]

I'm fairly certain that's what I want. It has to do with how my sprites are set up in the file. But thanks for checking anyways =]

What version of SDL are you using?

If you haven't solved the problem yet, I'd recommend creating a minimal complete example that exhibits the behavior, and then post that (just put it all in a single source file). Be sure to eliminate anything that's not directly relevant and/or doesn't have any affect on the behavior. By doing that, you should either find the cause of the problem, or end up with a minimal, clear example that'll be easy for us to take a look at.

[Edit: Problem solved, apparently, so nm :) Still, consider the above advice for the future, as the process described above would likely have helped you to identify the cause of the problem.]

I'm fairly certain that's what I want. It has to do with how my sprites are set up in the file. But thanks for checking anyways =]

Ok if you're sure ;)

But let me just point out that your nested for loop will only assign your array up to 4 (ie when i == 2 and j ==2). The reason I think this isn't what you intend is because you made the array size 9.

Good luck.

What version of SDL are you using?

If you haven't solved the problem yet, I'd recommend creating a minimal complete example that exhibits the behavior, and then post that (just put it all in a single source file). Be sure to eliminate anything that's not directly relevant and/or doesn't have any affect on the behavior. By doing that, you should either find the cause of the problem, or end up with a minimal, clear example that'll be easy for us to take a look at.

[Edit: Problem solved, apparently, so nm :) Still, consider the above advice for the future, as the process described above would likely have helped you to identify the cause of the problem.]

Thank you for this idea. I'll definitely use this as a method to debug in the future! =]

Ok if you're sure ;)

But let me just point out that your nested for loop will only assign your array up to 4 (ie when i == 2 and j ==2). The reason I think this isn't what you intend is because you made the array size 9.

Good luck.

Ahh you win! In my defense I wrote that around 2 this morning. But now I can't think of a clever solution other than making three loops. Ah well, I learn either way.

Edit: Nevermind, I figure [j + (i*3)] is what I needed. =]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!