good rpg engine?

Started by
7 comments, last by jbadams 12 years, 11 months ago
Does anyone know a good RPG engine for a beginner that i can use?
Advertisement
If you are just looking for an RPG engine to make a good 2d rpg with. You might want to take a look at RPG maker series. I use to use RPG Maker 2000 back in the day to make some fun RPG's.
XNA offers an RPG sample here.

It loads a lot of its info in from xml files. So you could get a decent level of customization by just editing the xml files. Editing and creating quests, gear, character classes and spells for example.

see my signature.
The Unreal Development Kit contains everything you need to make a custom RPG to your liking. It's relatively simple just be prepared to put some time in :)
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz
XFX ATI Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro USB 3.0
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB 1600MHz
THERMALTAKE V3
SEAGATE 500GB
WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64 Bit
I think that the RPG Maker series are the easiest to begin with laugh.gif
Check out my blog: vladimirsan.com
For a beginner, it'll be best suited to start with any one of RPG Maker series. I got into RPG Maker since its 95+ version which I've later upgraded to 2000, 2K3, XP, and VX. You could try to download the latest version, but I believe it's about 50$ to get the full version. I'll recommend looking into 2K3 version as it's free... at least last time I remember. But if you decide to buy VX, you can also get into programming with ruby which can really enhance the quality of your RPGs.

Best of luck!

Current Project:
* Project Lavapit (Using Visual C# Studio, Version 0.2)
* Mass Invasion (Using Visual C++ Studio, Version 1.2) [Minor break]
* Invasion -Port- (Using Visual C# Studio, Version 0.1)

* Codename Alias (Using GM; Version 1.0)

* Eternal Remien (Using RPG Maker VX; Version 2.2)

* R.E.X. (Unknown Program; Ideas Only)

Current Members:
Troy Cabal (Game Art & Design Major)
Francis Simon (Business Major)
Calvin "Romell" Mathes (Business Major)
Zane Castillo (English Major)

XNA offers an RPG sample here.

It loads a lot of its info in from xml files. So you could get a decent level of customization by just editing the xml files. Editing and creating quests, gear, character classes and spells for example.

Great link! I will keep my eye on these educational resources!
Current Project:
* Project Lavapit (Using Visual C# Studio, Version 0.2)
* Mass Invasion (Using Visual C++ Studio, Version 1.2) [Minor break]
* Invasion -Port- (Using Visual C# Studio, Version 0.1)

* Codename Alias (Using GM; Version 1.0)

* Eternal Remien (Using RPG Maker VX; Version 2.2)

* R.E.X. (Unknown Program; Ideas Only)

Current Members:
Troy Cabal (Game Art & Design Major)
Francis Simon (Business Major)
Calvin "Romell" Mathes (Business Major)
Zane Castillo (English Major)
...and just to throw out a couple of additional options, you could also look at Unity3d or Realm Crafter, both suitable for 3d role-playing games. Of the two, Realm Crafter is more of a set-options-and-go package, whilst more initial work would likely be required with Unity.

Are you interested in making 2d or 3d games? Do you have any previous experience? Are you looking to create a single-player-only game, or do you want to add multi-player?

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement