• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RJSkywalker

RPG Game ideas

This topic is 2749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey ppl.....i have to make a paper RPG and I was looking for storyline ideas....I was looking for something related to fantasy....I just wanted a line or 2..like some final objective

Advertisement
Save the bad guy. Kill the princess. Kill the king and allow anarchy to flourish. Break an ancient relic and escape the castle before they strike a ram up yer ass. Tame a dragon to marry the most beautifull girl in the world. Tame a woman for your dragon kin to find you worthy. Contribute to Goblin literature by finding the Hermit NoMoreSinginz. Train to become the best tunnel digger in the kingdom.

2 lines, there you go :D

Hmm by fantasy i assume you mean high fantasy i.e. Tolkien style alternativeworld.

It could be literally anything you could think of. In most cases it wouldinvolve overcoming some evil to save the world. This could range from killing adragon that is terrorizing a kingdom to searching for a lost artefact that cansave a dying king.

I wouldn't want to go into more detail since it would involve imposingcharacters and other elements upon the world. A good place to find a skeletonto work from is Joseph Campbell'sMonomyth. It may not fit completely within a game but it will give a basicstructure that people are familiar with. :)

Thanks guys....do u guys know if I could find information on witchcraft or sorcery that I could add to the storyline..

Couldn't point you at anything specific from memory. But the general advicewould be to use Wikipedia as a starting point. It will at least have someinformation on the whole thing and the Notes section will have useful links to(probably) more dependable sites. Just searching on Google can throw up someinteresting sites as-well. If you get really stuck read some fiction stories ona similar subject, even something like Harry Potter could give some basic ideasthat you can elaborate on.

Myths and folktales are also a good thing to look into. If you can find alibrary spend an afternoon just search in it. They will most likely have morereliable information in them, don’t just stick to the adult section though thekids section can have some really interesting things in it.

Thanks guys....do u guys know if I could find information on witchcraft or sorcery that I could add to the storyline..

I second the Wikipedia/Google recommendation. I also suggest that you do a lot of reading. I'm certain that articles you find will reference relevant books that will have not only information you can use but also a lot of entertainment value.

The trick is to use what you know about. If you are personally familiar with life at a jr. high school, set your story there, and mix in all your favorite memories, experiences, both personal and third-hand (from the media and whatnot) with an emphasis on personal, with any media that's mixed in being connected to that if at all possible. Also consider your other players, if you don't know exactly who they are think of some diverse people you know and make it for "all" or any of them. It's also good to keep new things simple. Your new players might be impatient and possibly have low expectations if you don't already have a track record of good games, so keep the rules simple, fair, and fun. Surprises in a new game are hard to do well, and can confuse players, especially in a spoken and paper game. It is also good to emulate other games, both computer, paper, and board/etc, in particular games you like, the specific parts you like and understand, and then make them as good as you can, test them yourself by 'role playing' you are a few people and your friends, and your balancing and effort will show in your intital conversations and people will be willing to try it, especially if you have a piece that sounds appealing to them, possibly by deisgn or simply by making a game you would enjoy playing fairly as a player. It would probably also be good to post it online and get feedback...and there is a fear of idea theft and copy-leads that is common and complex, however I think doing things more openly benefits you more, since the first creator always has a head start and the most solid knowledge of the idea, and therefore with hard work should be able to make the best product openly without attacking cloners, copyers, and imitators and even espionagers, and in fact they cancel each other and the fake DS units make people want to buy the official nintendo brand ones from trusted places due to lack of tax-heavy anti-piracy efforts...although a totally copyright patent free market might be weird and different, I wish someone would simulate that in a game or mmo...dell could still sell hardware, which may be cheaper due to more people making it with the open notes and machines and machine parts & interlocking design & info....I wonder if capitalism is too competitive for the power we have and the way information is becoming, and if we wouldn't be happier with a new style? Perhaps machine-based coordination, and it might be interesting to see very realistic simulations of different ways or coordating all the people on earth for science, information, mining, production, etc....having the information all be secret and hidden is dangerous in a nuclear age where one man can destroy all the cities. It is also important to divide resources fairly during the (common) shortages and frequent rare/expensive items....so finding ways to simulate this, both in places like the warcraft auction hall or with more serious realistic modern, primitive, and future simulations of society, and humans, with humans controlling groups or individuals or everything or abstractly, and with powerful AI as well to run complex simulations of different government styles including all past existant ones, present ones as understood, and a huge variety of theoretical ones possibly with an open way to "invent" new styles, and the understanding that we might be able to get along in a more faster computery awesome way that makes us all richer and is more fair and causes everyone to build & mine in a way that's good for morale, non-destructive, and keeps people informed to keep things building fast & smart, all 500 things that can be modified massively and lied about for a personal advantage in survival cannibalistic situations, where we can all get along be rich and expand into space.

If its an rpg your designing, i wouldn't start by basing it off of existing myths and legends, etc. Ive always found that the best worlds are the ones that are completely fiction. Instead of using wiccan magic, I'd use TzokTi, energy focused from the souls of the dead or something like that. No basis in real life history, but completely original, and ready to be fit into any realm's backstory.

[quote name='aersixb9' timestamp='1299833170' post='4784288']
[huge wall of text]

There's a fairly large key on the keyboard to the right. Depending on whether you have a PC or a Mac, it's labeled Enter or Return, respectively. It should be used every so often so that the reader of your text is not presented with a daunting wall of text.
[/quote]

B) Approved

Still, to contribute to the thread - yeah, read a lot, watch a lot, attend to some fantasy conventions, get involved in a pen & pencil RPG - get out there and be exposed to RPG radiation. Once you get to beef up your imagination, creating something unique will be easy :) It's like training a muscle, you can't expect anyone to do it for you (unless you don't want the world to be trully yours that is)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!