• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
owl

I got mouse

63 posts in this topic

[quote name='EricRRichards' timestamp='1299866506' post='4784471']
Just use a couple big-ass spring traps. Not the cheapo grocery-store mouse-sized ones, but a genuine rattrap, the kind that will break fingers if you accidentally trip it, and thus will cause instant death for the little mousie. Sometimes the little cheap traps don't break their necks, so they're just pinned under, scrabbling away until you check in the morning.

[size="2"]Use peanut butter on the trigger, they love that stuff, and its much harder for them to steal than cheese.[/size]

[/quote]
Amen to that. Peanut butter totally does the trick.

[quote name='szecs' timestamp='1299846240' post='4784351']
Nah. Meese can climb. Unless the surface of the container is smooth. Put some lava on the bottom of it.
[/quote]

I agree with the lava, I've never seen a mouse swim in it for long.

[quote name='Zethariel' timestamp='1299830723' post='4784281']
Mice are sly and I have great respect for them. Bought 3 mousetraps. All sprung. All cheese was taken. No mouse. Dad had to stay up all night and use a similar system to yours to trap the rodent.

Why slide a sheet post capture? Put the trap on a sheet in the first place >.> And why kill it? It's not it's fault you were sloppy and let a mouse get into your house :P
[/quote]

Same thing happened to my dad. Two or three mousetraps, all sprung. Didn't work. Had to get a slightly more advanced mouse trap (like [url="http://pic.tradeage.com/hot-sellingmouse-killer-ar190-mouse-trap-rat-trap-by-china-post-mail-223323.jpeg"]this[/url] but cheap and non-electric - a door closes behind them, trapping them (I think it killed it to, but I don't remember how - probably a spring)). We also use chunky peanut butter instead of cheese, since they love it + have to stay around to link the switch (as mentioned by other posters).

Don't use rat poison if you have little kids in the house who might be enticed to eat the bright blue candy-looking stuff.

i had good success with one of these when i had a little visitor

[img]http://www.torquato.de/pic/pkat_101254_101254.jpg[/img]

it doesnt harm the mouse and its not expensive at all

+1 for froop's image. I've got 3 of those, one mouse sized (used frequently, cats bring mice in all the time), one medium sized (not used much), and one raccoon sized (used frequently in the past, raccoons come in to eat the cat food). They work wonders.

The raccoons go out to a park, and the mice just get tossed in some dense bushes somewhere outside. Same with the birds, lizards, and bugs too. Damn cats. >.<

And yeah, don't stick your fingers near the mouse, it will chomp you. If you see it in the open, toss something, like your sweater, over it, and scoop it up. Then your set!

I've had 100% kill rate with electronic mouse traps and peanut butter. The mice don't even get a chance to touch the peanut butter, so you can take out an entire family just by dumping the mouse and turning the switch back on a few times.

This trap has got 9 mice so far in 2 years. KILLING SPREE.

[url="http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/m2524"]Victor Electronic Mouse Trap[/url]

Oh man, I just noticed they also make 3x and 10x multi-kill traps. That's awesome.

This thread is ridiculous. Just capture him and put him back outside.

Put some peanut butter on a blanket on a tall box or container, per Wan's diagram. Then bring the box outside, and gently let him run out into the grass. Then you both resume your lives.

[quote name='Daaark' timestamp='1300144900' post='4785813']
This thread is ridiculous. Just capture him and put him back outside.

Put some peanut butter on a blanket on a tall box or container, per Wan's diagram. Then bring the box outside, and gently let him run out into the [s]grass[/s] [b]sewers[/b]. Then you both resume your lives.
[/quote]

I live in the geographical center of a [url="http://www.latidobuenosaires.com/mapa-satelital-de-buenos-aires.jpg"]goddamn HUGE[/url] city man. If I let it go outside there is 99.99% chances that it will get right back inside my house or some else's.

I just made eye contact with the motherfucker. It reminded me of this bartender-girl who used to serve me the beer...

...I think I'm gonna kill it XD

so true [img]http://public.gamedev.net/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif[/img]

[quote name='owl' timestamp='1300171975' post='4785945']
I just made eye contact with the motherfucker. It reminded me of this bartender-girl who used to serve me the beer...

[/quote]
Finally.

Stick a few blocks of mouse poison around the house, including near where his favorite bread is located. Wait a few days after you see he has nibbled the blocks. Problem solved.

[quote name='frob' timestamp='1300228128' post='4786234']
[quote name='owl' timestamp='1300171975' post='4785945']

[/quote]
Finally.

Stick a few blocks of mouse poison around the house, including near where his favorite bread is located. Wait a few days after you see he has nibbled the blocks. Problem solved.
[/quote]
Except you then have to deal with a dead, rotting mouse somewhere in your house.

Mouse poison dries them out like mummies. They don't get decomposed.

[quote name='owl' timestamp='1300240272' post='4786313']
[/quote]
Hmm, interesting. I still don't think I'd want a mummified mouse in my house, if I could avoid it.

[quote name='Moe' timestamp='1300294248' post='4786615']
[quote name='owl' timestamp='1300240272' post='4786313']
[/quote]
Hmm, interesting. I still don't think I'd want a mummified mouse in my house, if I could avoid it.
[/quote]

Live mouse problems include:
* Noise and eating your food (the problems in the OP)
* Damage to property from their constant gnawing and foraging
* Urine stinks horribly and can damage property
* Droppings can stink, harm property, and can infect humans with Hantavirus and other illnesses
* Animal may carry other diseases
* Animal my have ticks, lice, bedbugs, and transfer those to humans
* The ticks and lice may harbor their own diseases
* The animals may nest in your house, causing the above problems to multiply.

Dead mouse problems include:
* Disposing of the corpse.

I've had to deal with a mouse nest one time. And it was horrible. I'd much rather deal with a few dead mice than a large family of live mice.

A single dead mouse may stink for a while, especially if they are trapped in your wall and it takes some time for the normal bugs living in your house to sort the creature out. But it is *NOTHING* compared to the stench of a family of mice leaving urine and droppings everywhere they run. In that case, you'll still eventually have to deal with the dead mice, but you will have more of them and they will have already caused additional problems.

or you could...
[url="http://hackedgadgets.com/2007/04/28/computer-mouse-using-a-dead-mouse/"]
MouseMouse![/url]

;)

This is not as bad as my current problem. I have badgers in my house.

When I woke up this morning i went downstairs for a morning tea, opened the kitchen door, and found myself face to face with a minature snarling beast which after a few seconds I realised was a badger. Somebody had left the kitchen door open and it had come inside, either to for warmth or to sleep. You expect foxes to do this kind of thing but not badgers. Anyway, I shouted at it and clapped and it fled as fast as it could. It wasn't completely terrified of me as you would expect; I guess urban animals have some degree of tolerance for humans. What I dont get is why it wasn't put off by the smell of people.

In future im going to take my phone/camera with me when I come down in the morning, in hope of capturing a photo of a house badger.

[quote name='frob' timestamp='1300295191' post='4786622']
*snip*
[/quote]
I think you missed my point. I'm saying kill it with a trap, not poison. No live mice, no stinky mice. Peanut butter on a trap seems to do the trick in most cases.

[quote name='speciesUnknown' timestamp='1300305797' post='4786724']
This is not as bad as my current problem. I have badgers in my house.
[/quote]
Yup, that'd definitely be worse!

Well [color=#1C2837][size=2]badgers is the kind of bug I would never be capable of killing.[/size][/color]

Haha!;) I mean this sort of stuff is cool to watch in movies etc., but I wouldn't fancy experiencing it - bloody maggot lair above my face..

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1300321314' post='4786823']
I finally sat up and found myself surrounded by maggots that were slipping through a tiny crack in the wooden ceiling over my bed. Jumped out of bed, opened my drawers to pull some pants on so I could run outside screaming, [b]but my clothes were all covered in mouse shit.[/b]
God was I happy to move back to the city.
[/quote]

GETOUT! Now that's a hell of a good story! ROFLMAO!