• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
IMYT

Volumetric Ambient Occlusion Problem

This topic is 2834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]Hello everyone:

I am currently learning a new technique called Volumetric Ambient Occlusion. After struggling with all the math equations for several days I finally managed to understand the basic ideas behind this algorithm. I must say that this algorithm is really brilliant. [/font]

I wrote a simple program which implements the VAO algorithm in HLSL, however it does not work well (I put a screenshot in the attachment).

According to my understanding there should be some problems with my sampling method. I use the same sample set for every pixel on the screen (I know it's stupid but I just want to make it as simple as possible). Could someone please tell me a good sampling technique that can work with VAO? Or what kind of sampling methods you guys use in your ssao implementations?

By the way I do not understand the sampling method described in the paper "Volumetric Ambient Occlusion" (because my English is poor). It seems to me that the author generated 16 different sample sets by performing rotations on a single sample set in the pixel shader.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!