• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
akhin

"3D" or "3D Looking" Fire particle systems

This topic is 2387 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all ,

I have a simple particle systems class to work with , tied with a simple shader which is able to render point sprites.

Firstly what I am looking for is implementing fire , And hopefully after getting it done , I want to make it look like as it is 3D or at least create an illusion

My target is implementing a fire like the one in the video :

I would greatly appreciate any help for this.

Advertisement
Any tips ?

I have heard of Perlin Noise but coud not figure out how it works and how it makes 2d sprite based shaded particle system look volumetric

Any help would be great

Is there anyonw who dealed with this ?

Also I do have another question for this topic.

Currently I render an animated fire , by rendering a simple quad and animating the textures.

Could also that kind of "particle system" made to look 3D ?

It can be made rather easy with a simple "billboard" particle effect.

The billboard particle effect has to consist of several particles in order to make a nice effect.

This picture can maybe inspire you how to create it :)

flame1c.png

My target is implementing a fire like the one in the video : http://www.youtube.c...h?v=x6N47FHQeko
To be completely honest, the video you provided does not show much of the fire. It looks completely particle-system driven to me. If the fire has no interactions, then it will be possible to animate the various sprites using vertex shaders only, which is very fast and has widespread compatibility.
Interactions will involve more complex management... but I'm not going to elaborate on that.

Could also that kind of "particle system" made to look 3D ?
I've seen it being done by having multiple quads rotated around the center. I'm not really on it but it was a acceptable solution in 2002 so you can indeed get some mileage out of the technique.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!