Your Artistic Statement/Philosophy Of Game Design?

Started by
23 comments, last by Fox89 13 years, 1 month ago
Great thread! Although I have written more or less down many ideas and plans for games I want to make, I had thought much, whether they have some common denominators. Aside of being my idea of some game/genre done "right" :D
Probably the great way to understand your own principles, is to look at classic games, that have had strong influence on you. Games, that you consider "almost perfect". For me: Warlords 1, Final Fantasy 7, Quest for Glory 1, Des Blood 4. Also Ant Attack, Doom 2, God of War 1. And they have some similarities - not shared by all, of course, but still recurring themes.

• Enclosure/closedness. I prefer linear stories and closed worlds. I want to be sure, that if I complete the game, I have experienced most things, that there are to experience. Knowing, that I have to restart from the beginning to get another story arc, is source of frustration and often turn me away from the game.
  • Less is more. It is a game, not tool - so better to have few well thought out and implemented features, than tons of badly done things. Better a town with 3 buildings and 5 NPC-s, than huge and confusing place. A forest with 3 visually appealing trees, that serve as meeting or hiding spots for quests instead of large number of repetitive and useless trees.
  • Easy to play, hard to master. I.e. there should not be important places, stories and things only available for those, who have time to perfect controls. Perfection should be rewarding by itself - i.e. winning sword battle with technique should feel cool but the same thing should be possible with button smashing and health potions too.
  • Enjoyable in God mode. Good game should allow player to relax. Game should reward curiosity by unfolding story, not require you to constantly fight to get the game experience.
  • Replayable story. This is hard to get right, but I think, that story-based game should be closer to book than to a movie. I.e. present the story in relaxed setting, allowing player to set the pace, focus on details and fill the gaps with imagination. And go back and look again things, that he thinks he missed. But there should be only single story and it should be complete.
  • Aesthetics over realism. This applies at all levels - world setup, character design, background stories, behavior and so on.
  • No forced moral choices. Player should be able to identify with main character, of course - but other than that, he should not be forced to like or hate anyone. This normally means, that there cannot be single main antagonist, but story should be more like constantly evolving mystery.

Call it my artistic philosophy
Lauris Kaplinski

First technology demo of my game Shinya is out: http://lauris.kaplinski.com/shinya
Khayyam 3D - a freeware poser and scene builder application: http://khayyam.kaplinski.com/
Advertisement
I don't really have what I would call a philosophy, but there are typically three (admitedly selfish) main goals/principles/whatnot that I follow:
A) The development process has to be fun for me. I'm only doing this for fun (right now), after all.
B) The development process has to be challenging. Kind of ties into A, if it's not challenging I get bored and stop.
C) The result has to be something I would enjoy playing. After all, I'm the only person I can guarantee will ever play the result.

For an example, take my current project tentatively called Procedural Lancer.
A) It's set in space, I really like space/science fiction.
B) I'm attempting to make the game 100% procedurally generated. This is a big challenge, involving things I've never done before. (almost have universe generation done too!)
C) It's inspired by freelancer, which I had fun playing. Also, as I mentioned above, I like space games, especially flight "sims". (Freelancer really isn't a simulation, but you still get a space ship)
RPG's are hard to make, I know that.[/quote]

No they're not just use RPGMaker.

Okay, serious answer? RPGs are not inherently hard to make and I have no idea where this rumor started. Making a GOOD RPG is hard. But making ANYTHING of merit is going to be difficult. And that's why I hate seeing things like "I know that RPGs are hard to make, but...", because it's completely missing the point. It has nothing to do with the genre or anything specific to YOUR ideas.

Making anything of merit is going to be difficult, and if you actually care about the difficulty, you're never going to make it anyway.

The reason i got into game design is because i look at big companies, doing the same thing again and again. I notice the mistakes they make, and wonder how with such a huge number of people, how they can miss such obvious issues.

Sadly, they don't usually miss the obvious. 1 talented person can be driven, artistic and game-changing. 20 talented people can be an angry mob of disagreements and pride. What big companies put out is a vision based on previous sales, argued over by passionate and talented people until almost nothing remains and then washed by a marketing department that lacks perspective on the product. I guess I'm cynical at this point :)

Ahem... that said, I have a one line philosophy (meant to be said to myself repeatedly):
"you are not your target market"

It sounds very business-y but it isn't. It is the realization that in order to really create art you have to nail it with the audience. By virtue of creating in an artistic medium you have risen above your audience in a way. If you make art for only yourself and your artistic peers you are missing what, I believe, art in gaming can truly be : a way of bringing everyone into your creation.

Knowing your audience so well that you can change your perspective to theirs, thereby changing their perspective to yours, is art.

Dizzying...

RPG's are hard to make, I know that.

No they're not just use RPGMaker.

Okay, serious answer? RPGs are not inherently hard to make and I have no idea where this rumor started. Making a GOOD RPG is hard. But making ANYTHING of merit is going to be difficult. And that's why I hate seeing things like "I know that RPGs are hard to make, but...", because it's completely missing the point. It has nothing to do with the genre or anything specific to YOUR ideas.

Making anything of merit is going to be difficult, and if you actually care about the difficulty, you're never going to make it anyway.

[/quote]

That was my point, as seems not described properly :P Many games today are called RPG - Diablo is an RPG, Mass Effect is an RPG, hell, most FPS now add the RPG tag to their genre. For me, a true RPG is a pen & paper one. The computer has no way of making a real RPG, unless you use notepad, Skype or any other software that allows communication between two humans. Maybe, some day, AI will be bright enough to have personalities and creativity of enough quality to be a DM. I'm not saying that some games don't have epic storylines - they are more interactive books in a way than true RPG sessions. But what great books can some trully be.

Anyway, I didn't like the fact you ripped my sentence from it's context :P The full statement was:
RPG's are hard to make, I know that. And multiplayer makes it even harder. But I guess it's worth it. As long as I'm not the only one seeing the need, it's worth it.
That kinda sounds better and not so whiny, eh? :P
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)

[quote name='MeshGearFox' timestamp='1300207485' post='4786079']
RPG's are hard to make, I know that.

[/quote]

That was my point, as seems not described properly :P Many games today are called RPG - Diablo is an RPG, Mass Effect is an RPG, hell, most FPS now add the RPG tag to their genre. For me, a true RPG is a pen & paper one. The computer has no way of making a real RPG, unless you use notepad, Skype or any other software that allows communication between two humans. Maybe, some day, AI will be bright enough to have personalities and creativity of enough quality to be a DM. I'm not saying that some games don't have epic storylines - they are more interactive books in a way than true RPG sessions. But what great books can some trully be.

Anyway, I didn't like the fact you ripped my sentence from it's context :P The full statement was:
RPG's are hard to make, I know that. And multiplayer makes it even harder. But I guess it's worth it. As long as I'm not the only one seeing the need, it's worth it.
That kinda sounds better and not so whiny, eh? :P
[/quote]

That wasn't actually my point at all so I guess we have completely different points and I wasn't explaining mine clearly. You seem to be casting some sort of judgment about the current state of RPGs and are trying to assign merit in improving the genre despite the perceived difficulty.

I'm saying that coming up with notions like "Genre X is hard to make" is fairly pointless because doing anything of merit in any field is going to have the same vague and fuzzily defined kind of difficulty associated with it, no matter what you're doing, and there's nothing inherent to an genre/medium that would somehow make them more difficult to work in unless you're like, I don't know, intentionally limiting yourself to a really drastically bad toolset.

I'm intrigued by the idea behind Xenallure, it seems like an expanded ren'ai game, which always seemed like a fun idea to me. I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress!

Oh, sorry for the confusion, development on Xenallure was halted years ago and I have no plans to re-start it. I realized it was basically impossible to develop a project of that size without funding. That was just the best example of a game's artistic statement I had in my files to use as an example. But you're right, it was basically intended to be a hybrid between a ren'ai game and a serious RPG.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Ahem... that said, I have a one line philosophy (meant to be said to myself repeatedly):
"you are not your target market"

That's probably an important insight. I didn't realize until I was out of college that there aren't a lot of people out there who are more or less clones of me waiting with money in hand to buy a game I would consider great. :rolleyes: But having realized that, it causes me motivational problems. I really don't want to make games for the average gamer because from my point of view they have terrible taste. I only want to make the games that I wish were available for me to play. But an idea that isn't popular won't get people volunteering to help make it, and a game that is unlikely to be a financial success makes it difficult to justify spending money paying people to make it.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I just want to create my own game world and let other participate in it,that's all ;)

That's the reason my game currently in design has a strong simulation influence and less fancy new gameplay.

That wasn't actually my point at all so I guess we have completely different points and I wasn't explaining mine clearly. You seem to be casting some sort of judgment about the current state of RPGs and are trying to assign merit in improving the genre despite the perceived difficulty.

I'm saying that coming up with notions like "Genre X is hard to make" is fairly pointless because doing anything of merit in any field is going to have the same vague and fuzzily defined kind of difficulty associated with it, no matter what you're doing, and there's nothing inherent to an genre/medium that would somehow make them more difficult to work in unless you're like, I don't know, intentionally limiting yourself to a really drastically bad toolset.

Sincere apologies! Now I understand your point and agree with it :) I guess I kinda admited that IMO RPG's are hard, while FPS might be easy to make for me. It boils down to talent, knowing the subject and assessing one's skill

That's probably an important insight. I didn't realize until I was out of college that there aren't a lot of people out there who are more or less clones of me waiting with money in hand to buy a game I would consider great. :rolleyes: But having realized that, it causes me motivational problems. I really don't want to make games for the average gamer because from my point of view they have terrible taste. I only want to make the games that I wish were available for me to play. But an idea that isn't popular won't get people volunteering to help make it, and a game that is unlikely to be a financial success makes it difficult to justify spending money paying people to make it.

Feel the same way. An ideal situation would be when the creator would be that "average gamer" :P Still, I decided to grind my teeth and supply a few generic titles first (once I get to do so) that will allow financial stability. THEN make the dream game and don't care that most people might not like it. Having money for your dreams is such an awesome thing... :(
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement