Want feedback on zombie survival game (tech demo released today)

Started by
6 comments, last by beanz 13 years, 1 month ago
Zombie Survival Club is a game that is more about survival than about firing machine guns at hordes of zombies (in fact, there will be very few guns and only small amounts of ammunition available). You'll need to make a base, barricade yourself in, and scavenge for food and medical supplies. It's going to be multiplayer, but for now we've released a single player tech demo to try out the game mechanics.

The AI used for the Zombies is a variant of Braitenberg Vehicles, but this is an area of the game that is going to get a lot more work in the coming weeks, as we want some interesting emergent behaviour from the zombie hordes.

It's just two of us working on the game, so it is really important for us to get feedback from lots of people.

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.zombiesurvivalclub.com/
Advertisement
Hmm... probably should have polished it a bit more. There's no actual gameplay yet - perhaps release the demo when there's some direction? How do barricade myself in using the boxes?

I can constantly re-kill (?) a zombie by left clicking them.

The movement was slow and unrefined - almost nauseating if you are on a few crates.

I love the radio though. :D

Hmm... probably should have polished it a bit more. There's no actual gameplay yet - perhaps release the demo when there's some direction? How do barricade myself in using the boxes?

I can constantly re-kill (?) a zombie by left clicking them.

The movement was slow and unrefined - almost nauseating if you are on a few crates.

I love the radio though. :D

Yeah, it's very much a pre-pre-alpha tech demo type affair. Lots more to add, let alone getting to the polishing stage.

You can pick up boxes using right click and holding down. Also, did you see you can eat the cans of beanz?
I just fixed the 'killing an already dead zombie' bug. The new version is uploaded to the site.

Yeah, it's very much a pre-pre-alpha tech demo type affair. Lots more to add, let alone getting to the polishing stage.

You can pick up boxes using right click and holding down. Also, did you see you can eat the cans of beanz?

Sorry, polishing was the wrong choice of word haha.

Ah, should probably mention that somewhere? Also didn't know that shift made you run.

I got the box movement working - it's good, but it's not very responsive/intuitive. Perhaps if they snapped into a mounting point on the character when you right click them?

Haha no I didn't... looks like the Heinz brand.

I really like the idea of this game. Subscribed for the email notification. :)

Glad you like it :-)

Yes, the mechanics for carrying boxes aren't that great at the moment. Having the snap to a mounting point sounds like a good idea, I'll try that out.

I deliberately didn't include any instructions on what the controls are. I wanted to see how intuitive the controls are... clearly not enough!

We're going to add loads more objects that you can interact with, and the idea is that left click does most stuff, and right click is just for carrying.
The Good-It was surprisingly fun to run around avoiding Zombies and watch them knock over Beans.
-I wish radio's were as interesting as the one in this game xD
-I was able to a use a Dead? Zombie as a table for the radio.

The Bad
-Pushed off ledges and boxes? :S
-Character slows (almost stuck) when walking along walls
-Look down and see body (Like a snowman?)
-Big Boxes Waaaay to difficult to move.

I liked it though :)

The Good-It was surprisingly fun to run around avoiding Zombies and watch them knock over Beans.
-I wish radio's were as interesting as the one in this game xD
-I was able to a use a Dead? Zombie as a table for the radio.

The Bad
-Pushed off ledges and boxes? :S
-Character slows (almost stuck) when walking along walls
-Look down and see body (Like a snowman?)
-Big Boxes Waaaay to difficult to move.

I liked it though :)

Thanks for the feedback, and great to hear that you liked it in general! :-)

We've now got improving the box carrying, and how the game reacts to you being on walls/crates/etc. on the bugfix list. And yeah, the player's body (and the fist) were just quick elements put in for the tech demo. These will be in the same style as the zombies soon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement