• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
usbman3

Any fast voxel rendering algorithms?

This topic is 2652 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a 3D array of voxels, which represents a landscape (sort of).

I wrote a simple function to render these voxels:

for each pixel on screen:
{
calculate the direction and starting position of the ray
Vec3 cur_pos = ray_start_pos
Voxel voxel = Nothing

for( temp=0; temp+=VOXEL_SIZE; temp<RAY_LENGTH )
{
voxel = get_voxel( cur_pos );

if ( voxel != Nothing )
break;

cur_pos += ray_direction * VOXEL_SIZE
}

if ( voxel != Nothing )
set_pixel( voxel.r, voxel.g, voxel.b );
else
set_pixel( background color );
}

Rendering 80x80x100 (=640k) voxels at resolution 700x444, it takes about 20 seconds to render one frame (on AMD Phenom II X6 @ 3.4 GHz).

Although I'm using just one thread for rendering, the performance is absolutely unacceptable! I need at least 25 frames per second.

And this algorithm has some other problems than performance as well:
  • Aliasing artifacts
  • Some voxels are processed twice
  • Lots of empty voxels are processed even if the ray doesn't hit anything
    I have searched the internet but I didn't find any good articles about rendering voxels that don't involve octrees or cuda.

So, do you know of any good voxel rendering algorithms?

Advertisement
Hello,

Maybe you can use the marching cube algorithm to build a mesh from your voxels. Then you can use that mesh to render your terrain.

If you target DX10/11 hardware which has enough shader power then you can just use SVO traversal algorithms. Even a naive 3DDDA grid traversal algorithm will render massive scenes. I do not recommend converting voxels to geometry. Rendering them that way is drastically slower than optimal traversal techniques since traversal techniques almost always have an increase in performance as the complexity of the scene increases. (The ray hits something sooner). I wrote this in flash's pixel bender which is basically GLSL and it ran at 60 fps easily on a 260 GTX. I had a WebGL example, but WebGL no longer supports the required shader model version for it to run. The GLSL wasn't optimal so I won't paste it, but it ran at 60 fps on my brother's 8400m card.

Oddly enough I just started writing a small example program a few weeks ago for beginners getting into voxel rendering, but I've been busy with studies. I'm just using a few lines of SlimDX and HLSL.

If you use the CPU I don't want to be "that guy", but you need to use SSE and straight assembly for the whole thing. Prefetching data and such is pretty much mandatory since:
for (int y = 0; y < 1920; ++y)
{
for (int x = 0; x < 1080; ++x)
{
// One instruction here is really 2073600 extra instructions
}
}

Note that you should probably use condition move instructions and not branch instructions wherever possible as traversal branching code is chaotic and the predictor will guess wrong a lot! In other words you must write branchless code for the whole thing. You're in luck since modern CPUs do like billions of instructions per second!
50 billion ips / (1920 * 1080 * 60) = 401 instructions!

(I'm rushed I might edit this later)

Incorporate the use of octrees, so that when your ray encounters a big empty node it calculates the position it would exit the node, so that it skips that whole empty space, and then continues. The whole point is that every empty node leading up to a solid voxel will be how your ray jumps through empty spaces, instead of slowly stepping through them one voxel at a time.

Last year I published an article in Game Engine Gems about rendering volumetric landscapes, and I recently discovered that it has been made available on Google Books. I believe it's fairly easy to read, you can have a look at it here:

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

You can find more information and source code at http://www.thermite3d.org/

Hi PolyVox! I have been following your Thermite site and am interested in discovering more... I will post some questions in a few days. Nice to find you here!

If you target DX10/11 hardware which has enough shader power then you can just use SVO traversal algorithms. Even a naive 3DDDA grid traversal algorithm will render massive scenes. I do not recommend converting voxels to geometry. Rendering them that way is drastically slower than optimal traversal techniques since traversal techniques almost always have an increase in performance as the complexity of the scene increases. (The ray hits something sooner). I wrote this in flash's pixel bender which is basically GLSL and it ran at 60 fps easily on a 260 GTX. I had a WebGL example, but WebGL no longer supports the required shader model version for it to run. The GLSL wasn't optimal so I won't paste it, but it ran at 60 fps on my brother's 8400m card.

Oddly enough I just started writing a small example program a few weeks ago for beginners getting into voxel rendering, but I've been busy with studies. I'm just using a few lines of SlimDX and HLSL.

If you use the CPU I don't want to be "that guy", but you need to use SSE and straight assembly for the whole thing. Prefetching data and such is pretty much mandatory since:
for (int y = 0; y < 1920; ++y)
{
for (int x = 0; x < 1080; ++x)
{
// One instruction here is really 2073600 extra instructions
}
}

Note that you should probably use condition move instructions and not branch instructions wherever possible as traversal branching code is chaotic and the predictor will guess wrong a lot! In other words you must write branchless code for the whole thing. You're in luck since modern CPUs do like billions of instructions per second!
50 billion ips / (1920 * 1080 * 60) = 401 instructions!

(I'm rushed I might edit this later)

I am VERY interested in seeing your example program on how to accomplish what you are describing. I am currently rendering my voxels very similiar to the original poster, with a rigid cubic grid compression which empty space skips (not as efficient as an Octree, BUT, I am not ready to delve into the madness of raycasting through an octree!) - I am getting 7-15 fps raycasting a 320x160 window into a 256x256x128 voxel world.... faster than his, BUT, neither of us would be happy with that performance. I saw that newer hardware provides raycasting, but I have no clue as to how to access it (realizing that the hardware has like 250 tiny
simple processors - all you need to trace a ray - makes me drool).

What I decided to do, currently, is pre-render my world scenes/tiles and as well my sprites/objects in 16 rotations from a set perspective. I include the Z info so I can easily slip objects between each other for inclusion into the final scene. What this gets me is basically an Isometric engine on steriods, with 16 rotations, detailed terrain with hidden surface removal, deformable terrain, etc. Its fine for my current purposes, BUT, I would like to remove the rotation and perspective restrictions and get to full 3D with voxels - they have me totally entranced!

Here's the basic code http://pastebin.com/YKJb449i . It's not really optimal or coded right. The main concept though is 3DDDA. However if you're doing this for real you'll want to use chunks and stream them to the GPU and perform a 2+ level traversal. That's what my current project does basically.

Read laine's Nvidia papers on SVO traversal. A big part of making things work though is to design a voxel format that does what you want. However, once you have your rendering algorithm working you'd probably be using a deferred renderer. When you hit the final voxel you can pull back texture, normal, specular, etc really easily.

I've got a few intro tutorials on my blog on volume rendering with raycasting. Might be helpful to you.

http://graphicsrunne...e%20Ray-Casting

By the end of the set the algorithm is basically:

--Subdivide volume into chunks so we can skip the empty outside chunks.
--Render front face positions to Target0
--Render back face positions to Target1
--Draw full screen quad with Target0 and Target1 set to calculate ray position and direction
--Do front-back composite as you step through the volume.

The last step could be skipped for you if you know that you'll always have a solid surface. You could exit at the first intersection.

I've got a few intro tutorials on my blog on volume rendering with raycasting. Might be helpful to you.

I don't want to seem like I'm jumping to conclusions since I just glanced over your site, but why are you doing the raycasting like that instead of just using the normal grid/SVO traversal algorithms?

You can calculate transparency exactly using normal traversal algorithms since you have the time when you enter the voxel region and when you left it for every voxel. Was this just a speed optimization that you made by assuming constant fixed time intervals?

Also if anyone is curious this is a 2 level 2DDDA traversal algorithm. I wrote it a few weeks ago and haven't had time to verify if the algorithm is optimal, but it is one of many solutions. It's interesting to point out that when programming multilevel traversal algorithms if you assume the size of the fine voxel level is large the algorithm changes to incorporate a loop whereas this isn't true if you had just say an SVO traversal since the loop adds too much cost for a 2x2x2 level.

[quote name='glaeken' timestamp='1300118351' post='4785645']

I don't want to seem like I'm jumping to conclusions since I just glanced over your site, but why are you doing the raycasting like that instead of just using the normal grid/SVO traversal algorithms?

You can calculate transparency exactly using normal traversal algorithms since you have the time when you enter the voxel region and when you left it for every voxel. Was this just a speed optimization that you made by assuming constant fixed time intervals?

[/quote]

The tutorials are based on direct volume rendering in the pixel shader ( <= ps 3.0 ) with volume textures. This and the fact that they're an intro into DVR, is the reason it takes the approach it does and doesn't include something more advanced like an SVO.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!