• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MARS_999

Which is faster?

This topic is 2659 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

which would be faster, having a bool in the Draw() to turn off/on drawing an object or a list of objects and you just remove that object say from a vector and fill the vector with the pointer when needed?

Advertisement
Without much detail given, I would say the bool option would typically be faster.

Well I am not sure what else to say other than I would do something like this

std::vector<Object*> objs, objsOriginal;
for(int i = 0; i < 1000; ++i)
objs.push_back(new Object());

objsOriginal = objs;

void Draw(void)
{
for(size_t i = 0; i < objs.size(); ++i)
objs->Draw();
}

//in Object Class
void Draw(void)
{
if(draw)
{
}
}

//vs. in the Logic() or somewhere

//remove objects to be drawn
objs.erase();

this isn't tested but just something to show what I was thinking about....

Removing it from the list seems much more efficient. You remove the "if(draw)" branch for each iteration.

How consuming is it to to test a boolean value? It gotta be the fastest thing a computer can calculate. But having a list of all object that will get drawn maybe is faster, but it gotta be without margin.

While testing a bool might be fast just focusing on that ignores the other factors namely transfer from memory.

To test that bool you have to;
  • jump into the function (bonus cost if its a virtual)
  • load the data for the object at (and around due to CPUs loading cache lines at once) the 'bool' you want to test
  • test it
  • optionally jump back out again or go on to do the workAnd you would do this every frame.

By constrast removing a pointer is only going to be done on the frame the object is removed saving you the overhead of a test each frame and removing the above, useless, per frame work from every 'object' which is drawn.

Basically, with the 'render list' memory you are taking advantage of temporal coherancy of a given scene to reduce your workload to the point where you need to do it, with the 'test bool' method you are taking advantage of an out-of-order CPU with huge caches to cover up your poor design ;)

How consuming is it to to test a boolean value? It gotta be the fastest thing a computer can calculate. But having a list of all object that will get drawn maybe is faster, but it gotta be without margin.
Doing the actual test is fast, but after doing the test you've got to issue a conditional branch.
On PowerPC CPUs (xbox/ps3), conditional branches are likely to cause branch mispredictions, which are ungodly slow. Also, jumping into a function and jumping back out again too quickly can be horrendously slow as well, as the function prologue/epilogue both touch the same part of the stack in quick succession causing a LHS (load-hit-store stall).

x86 CPUs tend to have decent branch prediction hardware, and don't suffer from LHS like PPC does... but branching should still be kept in mind as an expensive operation, not something that's really fast.

Thanks all for the input. I figured that removing just a pointer from a list would be faster than testing, but wasn't going to jump to any conclusions without some advice.

Also, think of that list being called on logic for each object also, that would also be reduced per frame.... Adds up.

While testing a bool might be fast just focusing on that ignores the other factors namely transfer from memory.

To test that bool you have to;
  • jump into the function (bonus cost if its a virtual)
  • load the data for the object at (and around due to CPUs loading cache lines at once) the 'bool' you want to test
  • test it
  • optionally jump back out again or go on to do the workAnd you would do this every frame.

And if some draw flags are set and some aren't, the branch predictor won't be able to predict the branch either, causing pipeline stalls. If the list insertion/removal code is lightweight, it may be worth eliminating branches in the inner loop.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!