designing game maps?

Started by
10 comments, last by Hodgman 13 years, 1 month ago
but dont you need some architecture knowledge to have a town that makes sense?

does anyone else know of any books?
Advertisement
Yeah if you want layouts and buildings to make sense, then learn some stuff about real-world architecture and town-planning -- non-games experience like this often turns out to be useful in game dev.

However, I've never seen any books along the line of "Town planning for video game designers", etc... Maybe you could google something like "urban design textbook" or "architecture textbook".

When I used to play around with environment art and level design, I would use google images to find pictures of real-world architecture, and use those images as reference when designing my buildings (to make sure the design makes sense regarding real-world functions, as well as having a nice form).

You could also use google maps, or play SimCity to see what kind of street layouts actually make sense -- however, players might not even notice if there's something a bit wrong, like a modern apartment building next to an oil-refinery, etc...

The most important rule-of-thumb for me was to constantly ask "why" or "what is the purpose" when adding new rooms/etc.
e.g. Why is there a cupboard here? What is that corridor used for? Why would someone be stacking up crates in that room? What is the purpose of that roller-door? Why would they have built a gate there?

However, lots of games don't ask these questions, but are still fun... Believability and game-design don't necessarily support each other.
For example, the FPS genre is famous for having an abundance of crates in virtually any environment, even in rooms with doorways smaller than the crates in the room (how did the crates get in there??)
Doom/Quake popularized "monster holes" -- when a hidden door opens behind you and lets out a monster -- but when you stop and think about it, why was there an empty room behind a hidden doorway, with no function other than to "scare the player"? This is obviously game design taking precedence over real-world believability in the architecture.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement