• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tnasty

Please don't make fun of me :(

This topic is 2656 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a few questions:

1. What programs would i need to make PS3 games?
2. What knowledge do i need to do it and how can i obtain it? ex. Books, tut websites, etc.
3. anything else you would like to add to help a newbie

Advertisement
1) You need a job at a professional company. Sony doesn't let the public make PS3 games.
2) A computer science (or software engineering) degree if you want to be a programmer.
3) Games are made by many people of different disciplines. Which discipline (programming, 3d art, illustration, design, etc) are you interested in?

oh thanks i couldn't find out how anywhere... now i see why. So i guess ill just have to make pc then. i dont know if you can tell me this but i came across somthing that sony is doing somthing like xboxs indie games is that falseness?

and can anyone answer those questions now just replacing PS3 with PC

PS3's used to have the "other OS" option, which allowed you to install Linux on your PS3. Some people used this to make their own indie games, but what they could achieve was very limited, because sony disabled most functions of the graphics card when running linux (meaning people couldn't use the 3d hardware) :(

Sony has since removed the "other OS" option, so if you want to run Linux on your PS3 now, then you've got to hack/mod your console... which is lame :(

If you're a complete beginner, then PC should be a comfortable home for a while to come ;)

i am a COMPLETE beginner. i mean i have a little knowledge in blender 3d but i dont think that that program is the best. can you tell me the first few steping stones i need to get started?

It depends on your long term goal. If you really do want to become part of the industry in the future, you should decide what you want to do. Hodgman made a pretty comprehensive list of roles in the industry. If you choose to be a programmer, you should start studying programming. General suggestions around the forum are for Python with Pygame or C# with XNA (with this you could make games for the Xbox arcade or w.e it is). If you wish to be a 3D artist, designer, or musician, you may want to resort to using engines such as Unity or Ogre3D (there's probably more but I don't use them so I'm not aware of them). Knowing how to program would be helpful in this case but I believe it's not completely necessary.

When you start off on you learning path, you must realize that you're not going to make epic looking games right off the bat. You should start slow and learn steadily. In the end, the most important thing is that you enjoy what you are doing. :)

i am a COMPLETE beginner. i mean i have a little knowledge in blender 3d but i dont think that that program is the best. can you tell me the first few steping stones i need to get started?

Blender is the BEST free modelling software you can get, and it is not only my opinion...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!