• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kaktusas2598

File extensions used in game development?

This topic is 2829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I saw several times, expecially in indie games file that ends with .cfg extension, I think it is scripts but don;t know exactly. Can anyone link me to some file extensions used in game development and what they contain, and I mean not basic ones..

Advertisement
Hello,

The *.cfg extension denotes a configuration file, so such a file would probably used to store settings such as screen resolution, quality vs performance rendering settings, etc.

Wotsit.org has a lot of resources on file extensions in general.

FYI: the cfg extension, in particular, doesn't indicate any particular "recognized" file format. It's just a convenient extension (as mentioned by fileshadow4126) that's commonly used by many applications. You can't expect the contents of any particular cfg file to correspond to some "standard" format.

There's no standards for formats "[color="#1C2837"]used in game development". Different companies use different creation software, different processing tools, different middleware, different game engines, different custom solutions, etc...
[color="#1C2837"]
[color="#1C2837"]In one game, a "cfg" file might store your keyboard setup. In another game it might store enemy AI behaviours. In another it might contain translations of the game's text in German...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!