• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
No Idea

DX11 Questions on renderer design, 3D models and formats

This topic is 2833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone.

I've been thinking on the matters described below for quite a long time, and I think I've read half of the Internet looking for answers, but still I can't finish designing my renderer.
My problem's with loading 3D models - precisely preventing loading one piece of data more than once - and incorporating this routine into a renderer, and some related thingys.

I. Background

The architecture of my renderer is quite basic, and pretty standard; I've got the following:

CRenderer - receives RenderChunks (each represents one Draw() call), then does some sorting etc., and draws the resulting rendering queue; with this class I'm more or less happy.

CTextureManager, CGeometryManager, CShaderManager - meant to help to avoid having a few instances of same data, and to keep track of whether the data loaded is still needed, or can safely be deleted. All the managers use the same D3D device pointer, created by CRenderer.

I've also designed my own binary model format, of which at first I was very proud. However, the more I think on the design of my renderer, the less I'm happy with it.
My model format is modular; it contains data blocks, like say GDATAn for geometry data, MDATAn for material data etc. One file can contain many blocks of any type; it's up to loader to decide what to take, and what to ignore.

As for now, I'm using only Direct3D 11.

II. My concerns and questions

1) As far as I know, normally, to prevent loading multiple instances of same data, some kind of manager would keep track of what filenames (or paths in the filesystem) have been already loaded. But let's say two models share geometry, but use different materials. In this case, for each model we need a separate file; so standard filename checking stops working; loading these two files, we'd have two instances of same geometry somewhere in VRAM.
In order to load one piece of information only once, we'd have to split one model into a number of files: one for each geometry, materials, skeleton, animation etc. But then all fancy model formats, including the one I designed, become useless for games, as we have to store a model as a number of unrelated files containing almost raw data, anyway. We would only reference these files from some simple model file, which would be nothing more than a list of files containing various data chunks of a model.

I've thought on giving each unique piece of data it's own unique ID; however this doesn't seem to be a good idea.

How can this problem be solved?

2) It seems logical to me to link shaders that work together, and refer to them as one effect, so I've decided to create my own effect framework, compatible with my renderer. But as I want modules of my renderer to be independent of each other, what renderer gets from such effect would be a just set of shader pointers, anyway (i.e. the renderer itself knows nothing of my effect framework, it just receives RenderChunks).
However, there is the same problem as with models: If I let the user create some effect files (with techniques, passes and stuff, containing vertex, geometry, pixel shader, etc., just like MS's) how can I control which shaders are already resident in the VRAM, and which are not? They wouldn't have their unique filenames; unless an effect file would only reference single shader files, e.g.

technique Whatever {
pass0 {
VertexShader = Shader("vs.hlsl", VSEntryPoint);
PixelShader = Shader("ps.hlsl", PSEntryPoint);
}
}

But somehow I don't like this solution. Is there any better way?

BTW: Has anyone here ever used the "passes" feature of MS's effects, or any equivalent? I'm not sure whether to bother with implementing this functionality, as I won't be targeting older hardware (DX11, maybe DX 10, up), and the only reason I can think of to implement passes would be compatibility with (very) old hardware.

3) Should I create another manager for blend, depthstencil and rasterizer states? If not, could you propose who should keep those states?
I'm asking because I'm a bit scared of quickly growing number of managers in my renderer. And blend states etc. don't seem to be big enough pieces of data to require any managers. Am I right?

Also, any hints or comments on my design, or anything found in my post, will be appreciated., as well as any links to materials on the matters concerned.

Thanks.

Advertisement
[color="#1C2837"]I've thought on giving each unique piece of data it's own unique ID; however this doesn't seem to be a good idea.[/quote]That's a file-name ;)

Most games, by the time they're pressed onto a blu-ray (etc), don't have a folder called "data" with thousands of files inside it --- all of those files are usually packed into a single big archive file instead.
However, the game might still use file-names internally. But hang on, if there's only one file on the disk, how can different bits of data inside that file have their own file-names? :)
The answer is, you're allowed to make file-names mean whatever you want to; you're not forced to implement them in the same way Windows does.
e.g. If you wanted to refer to a sub-resource inside of the file "./data/myModel.mdl", you could use a file-name like ./data/myModel.mdl/mySubResource. Your game knows that to load that "file", it has to tell windows to open "./data/myModel.mdl" and find the "mySubResource" chunk.

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I understand the concept. However, assume we have two models: a box with red texture rendered with effect1, and a box with blue texture, rendered with effect2. Both models are saved as model files, say box_red.mdl and box_blue.mdl. Both files contain the same geometry of our box, but differ in materials they describe. Now, if we load these files - from separate files or one big archive, doesn't matter - if we try to distinguish them simply by their filenames, paths, whatever, we would find them to be different. And so, we would load materials of both files - which is ok, as they differ - and geometry from both files - which is wrong, because now we have two instances of same geometry. That's my problem.
Now, we could ask our artists to give each chunk of geometry (and other data) their unique "in-file" names, but we have no guarantee that there won't be any duplicates. It also causes some trouble when updating files - if we wanted to change geometry of our box, we would have to edit both box_red.mdl and box_blue.mdl.

The only solution I can think of would be to keep each part of the model - geometry, materials, skeleton etc. - as separate files, say geometry.gmt, material.mat, skeleton.skl etc., and to have our models represented as a file, model.mdl, which just links to these "atom" files. So both box_red.mdl and box_blue.mdl would just link to box.gmt (geometry file), and their own material files. So our geometry manager would load box.gmt only once. And if we wanted to modify the geometry of our box, we would simply edit one file, box.gmt.
However, with this solution we can't use "combo" model formats, containing all data of the model in one file (.3ds, .x, .dae, etc.). So I wonder if there is a better solution, as I kind of like these "combo" formats :)

I like your idea of refering to sub-resources of files like they were files themselves ("./data/myModel.mdl/mySubResource"). However, it doesn't work with the box example - we still have ./data/box_red.mdl/geometrySubres and ./data/box_blue.mdl/geometrySubres, so we can't tell whether geometry of both files is the same or differ.

assume we have two models: a box with red texture rendered with effect1, and a box with blue texture, rendered with effect2. Both models are saved as model files, say box_red.mdl and box_blue.mdl. Both files contain the same geometry of our box, but differ in materials they describe. Now, if we load these files - from separate files or one big archive, doesn't matter - if we try to distinguish them simply by their filenames, paths, whatever, we would find them to be different. And so, we would load materials of both files - which is ok, as they differ - and geometry from both files - which is wrong, because now we have two instances of same geometry. That's my problem.
IMO, an engine that does that is simply broken (sorry for the bluntness). Geometry and materials are completely different things - packing them together into a single resource is going to cause all sorts of problems (like the ones you're listing). Just have textures, materials, geometry and animations all as separate resources (which is also the solution you present ;) )
However, for conveniance and load-time reasons, sometimes you do want to take a group of resources and pack them together into one contiguous blob so they're all loaded at once, but IMO this should be transparent to the user. If you ask to load "box.geo", then the file system should handle the details as to whether that's a file on the disk, a section of an archive, or a section of a blob within an archive, etc...
However, with this solution we can't use "combo" model formats, containing all data of the model in one file (.3ds, .x, .dae, etc.). So I wonder if there is a better solution, as I kind of like these "combo" formats :)[/quote]The intermediate formats that you use during development aren't really relevant - when you ship, they all do get packed into some kind of combo format anyway ;). Also, 3ds/dae are only suitable as intermediate formats, not shipping formats anyway.
I like your idea of refering to sub-resources of files like they were files themselves ("./data/myModel.mdl/mySubResource"). However, it doesn't work with the box example - we still have ./data/box_red.mdl/geometrySubres and ./data/box_blue.mdl/geometrySubres, so we can't tell whether geometry of both files is the same or differ.
[/quote]/data/box_blue.mdl could have an internal "geo resource" field, that contains the string "./data/props.geo/box", etc...

We should probably step back for a moment and consider the content pipeline for your game though, as it has a large impact on your formats, and how they're created/used.

In about 3/4 companies I've worked at, the pipeline looked like:
Source formats ---Export---> Export formats ---Compile---> Compiled formats ---Build Archives---> Shipping formats

Source data:
PSD (photoshop)
MB (maya)
etc...

Exported data:
TGA (uncompressed image)
DAE (collada model)

Compiled data:
DDS (compressed image)
GEO / ANIM / MTL (binary geometry, animations, materials)

Shipping data:
Some kind of "combo" format archive

The content creators on the team work with source data - these are the only types of data files that are edited by hand.
Inside Maya/Photoshop/etc, source data is exported to intermediate formats. On a small project you'd probably do this manually via "File->Export/Save as", but on a project with a decent number of engine staff and tech-artists, you'd make this as automatic as possible (e.g. automatically exporting multiple TGAs from a single PSD whenever the PSD is saved).
An automatic process then takes the exported data and compiles it into game-specific formats.
During development, the game loads these compiled data files directly, but in a shipping build, data files are loaded from "combo" archives instead.

Source data is stored in version control, just like our source-code is, but usually in a different repository than the code (one designed to work with very large files).
Exported data is usually stored in a version control repository as well, often the same one as the code. Exported data is never modified by hand.
Compiled data is usually not stored in version control - it's generated on each developers workstation from the exported data OR a central network PC stores a cache of the compiled data (and may also handle the exported-data -> compiled-data step).
Shipping data is also not stored in version control - it can be generated from the compiled data if needed.

Ideally, this whole pipeline is automated after source-data has been exported. After hitting the "export" button, you're going to end up with some new files in your "compiled data" directory, but you almost never have to look at these files, and never, ever edit them - so the formats used here are pretty irrelevant.

At one company, when the game requested a particular resource, the timestamp on the "compiled" version would be checked against the "exported" version, and if the exported version was newer, then the resource would be recompiled before being loaded into the game. This engine even kept monitoring the export directory and re-compiled and re-loaded modified files while the game was running to allow for quick iteration ;)
At other companies, converting from "exported" to "compiled" was done by running a batch program before launching the game. However, in both cases, "compiled" data files are rarely looked at by the developers. All developers do is edit the source files and hit a button, which somehow results in a whole bunch of compiled resources being written to a "data" folder that you never look at.
Also, note that one source file can produce many outputs. A single PSD file for a texture would usually be exported to multiple TGAs (e.g. diffuse/specular/normal maps) and a MB file could potentially produce materials, geometry, animations, etc... The way that these outputs are stored is completely opaque to the user (they could be different files, they could be grouped by level, they could all be grouped into a single archive).

Wow, that was extremely helpful! Knowing this pipeline, and how it's done professionally, opened my eyes :P There are so many things I wasn't aware of! Lots of work ahead of me.

At one company, when the game requested a particular resource, the timestamp on the "compiled" version would be checked against the "exported" version, and if the exported version was newer, then the resource would be recompiled before being loaded into the game. This engine even kept monitoring the export directory and re-compiled and re-loaded modified files while the game was running to allow for quick iterattion ;)[/quote]
Cool. But I guess I'll stick to simpler solutions for some time :P
I'll probably go with batch programs. I guess I'll ask my artist to export his models to Collada, and then I'll write a program to split them into geometry, metrials and stuff, which I'll run on my side.

I really appreciate that you found time to explain this in detail; it was exactly the knowledge that I lacked. Now I can get to work :) Many thanks to you, Hodgman!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!