• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UT_jerryspringer

UnrealTourn2, DirectX or OpenGL???????

This topic is 6187 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know or at least have heard UT uses OpenGL but does UT2 coming out soon use OpenGL, I am learning to program and i want to learn OpenGL more than DirectX8 but i hear that directX is becoming the API to go with, and im afraid i would be wasting my time with OpenGL. I really hope that isnt so because i want to learn OpenGL. also does anyone know where to find programming info on UT, sample code, tutorials, etc.... weird post i know but give me a break i am new to this. thanks, later.

Advertisement
I think that the next version of UT will use only DirectX. That doesn''t mean you can''t use OpenGL. OpenGL is not in any way less powerful that DirectX (no matter what version, due to its hardware extension abilities). I''d use it just for the simple fact that I can more easily port my software to numerous platforms with ease without changing any graphics code.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

honestly, who actually cares about porting when the majority of the people that play a ported game will play it on Win9X/ME/2000? most people with minority OS''es still have access to Windows-based PCs anyway. that''s just my opinion, though.

--
david@neonstar.net
neonstar entertainment

quote:
Original post by neonstar
honestly, who actually cares about porting when the majority of the people that play a ported game will play it on Win9X/ME/2000? most people with minority OS''es still have access to Windows-based PCs anyway. that''s just my opinion, though.

I care. Especially since I don''t have to change one line of code for my engine to compile in BeOS or Linux, I''d feel I''m just being lazy to only consider a single OS. I''m not saying you''re wrong, and you''re entitled to your opinion, I''m just saying that some of us do wish to give people a choice.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!