• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Assembler015

Programming our demise

This topic is 6128 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Mom still cleaning up your garbage? JAVA <--- RESIST THE FAD Afterall, ms isn't putting Java into windows xp, java is dead...java sucks...thats all I feel like saying now. The reason I bring this up is simple, the more and more us programmers use (and thus support) languages such as java, the closer we become to making a language that anyone can do by just typing in what they want or something, leaving us without a job. Dont get me wrong, I am not against AI or anything like that but I dont think us programmers should work towards an extremely SIMPLe programming language, it is stupid on the programmers part. EDIT: Gamedev messed up my awesome ascii image of this, oh well...it was a java symbol (coffee cup) with an X through it and a bunch of cool phrases around it, I chose the meaningful ones and wrote 'em out for you EDIT: change title from "Check out my ASCII art" Edited by - Assembler015 on September 6, 2001 9:29:26 PM Edited by - Assembler015 on September 7, 2001 3:53:06 PM Edited by - Assembler015 on September 7, 2001 4:05:06 PM

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster

Java pic

Why are you still going on with your Anti-Java stuff still? And why am I always among the first to reply to your Anti-Java posts (or is it just my imagination?)? Why am I asking all of these rhetorical questions?

Anyway: I don''t like Java either (although, I don''t hate it like you do), but I dislike Windows XP even more, I guess you know where my loyalty is in this case.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

First of all, gamedev did not mess up your picture. The html standard dictates that any amount of whitespace counts as a single space. Use the [ code ] tag to make the image appear as you wanted it.

Secondly, just because java isn''t a good choice for the sort of programming you''re doing doesn''t mean it''s not a good choice anywhere. Don''t try to force your opinions on people, it only annoys them.

Dont worry, there will always be tasks to complex for just anybody on the street, even with a voice controlled autoprogrammer device.

We Rule, and dont you EVER forget that.

The Game Industry
OpenGL/OpenAL/OpenNL

In a world where people need things like "Master Microsoft Word Visually" I sincerely doubt that something as complicated as Java will ever leave programmers out of jobs.

******the closer we become to making a language that anyone can do by just typing in what they want or something, leaving us without a job. ****

Programming is programming no matter what language you use.

But the statement above throws me off. In my reasoning on sanity this is the point of being a programmer. In other words we should be making programming languages that anyone can use just by tying what they want. Which would you prefer to debug or read

#include
int Add (int x, int y)
{
return (x+y);
}
int main()
{
int a,b,c;
cout << "Enter two numbers: ";
cin >> a;
cin >> b;
c = Add(a,b)
cout << c;
return 0;
}

or

Ask for two numbers
Add two numbers
print to screen the addition of the two numbers

Several things happens here: First the second code snippet is easier to read and understand what is going on. Second most of the general population can read the second code but not the first, which means bugs could be found faster and easier (maybe). Third if I had a choice about which way i would want to write this code it would be the latter. Why, because it is faster and easier.

But as of now we have not made a language that is has that high level of abstraction yet, but when they do it will make my job and many other programmers life a little easier(unless your the guy that has to debug that super high level language "What do you mean if you say draw a cow it gives you a milk jug")

Gaming is a way of life believe it

The problem with the expression like:

"...Draw the cow it gives you a milk jug"

Can easilly be solved by the compiler by simply ASKING the
programmer as he types it in.

Compiler: "Excuse me Mr Programmer, but do you mean that I should draw the cow and then give you a milk jug OR draw the cow as it gives you a milk jug."

Coder: "Yes."

Compiler: "Huh?"

Coder: "Yes! I said YES!"

Compiler: "Okej okej, don''t get upset, so you want me to do my first suggestion then..."

Coder: "No. The other one."

Compiler: "That with the milk jug?"

Coder: "Dammit, both of them include a milk jug! Are you stupid or what?"

Compiler: "Yes, I am a mere compiler. (hehe... sucker)."

And so on.

After a while, the code gets compiled and everybody is happy.

The Game Industry
OpenGL/OpenAL/OpenNL

I used to program in JAVA. I realized it was the dumbest language I have ever learned(and the most expensive, 50 dollars minimum at the time I was buying). BUT since I hate MS more than I have JAVA, I agree that MS is wrong

Hate Scale
JAVA<>MS

9998 9999

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden

This topic is 6128 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.