• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kaholee

Why the server always disconnect me?

This topic is 6279 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am downloading beta9 and I have downloaded most of the files except the data2.cab , the biggest file of beta9 . I tired to download it for more than 20 times , whatever I use broadband or 56k connection , the download will suddenly abort , sometimes happened in 4% of full download , sometimes in 64% of full download.... I don''t have any problems before , can you please help me out? thanks kaho

Advertisement
Hi kaholee

I had the same problem with the FTP server I using Cute FTP.

I thought maybe it had something to do with my computer. Like you I never had this problem before. Maybe something to do with that new AMD Athlon that was donated to chris which he said in the news that he is going to set up the FTP to run on it.

I have DSL and like you I have been repeatly geting my download aborted when trying to download that large Data2.cab file which takes time if the speed is around 20 to 30 kbytes per sec.

You would think resuming the download several times would solve the problem but when I try to install the PR4 Beta 9 you will get an error at some point during the install.

Microsofts cabinet files seem to be very prone to crc errors even
when you resume your download several times.

I have not been able to succesfully download this file completly without it kicking me off the FTP server. So my only solution to the problem is setup up a temporay directory for the install and gradualy move the files and directory you get from the install to a directory you want to use. Repeatly copy or cut and paste to the directory you want PR4 Beta files to be setup in. There are many cases where you will encounter files with the extention I belive .rra or something. I had to try different resumed downloads of the Data2.cab file to get all the files during several install.

I Hope Chris checks into this, its very fustrating trying to download under those conditions.

Doug

I am using WS_ftp free verson , although
it provide a download resume function ,
It will still download the whole file from
the begining again...-_-

I am still waiting for the problem to be fixed...
I don''t know much on networking so I can''t help
for a lot , sorry

Kaho

I don''t know what the problem is. I see some people logging on and downloading the entire thing at 30-40k/sec.

Anyone getting < 10k/sec should make sure your FTP program supports resuming. You''ll probably never be able to download the entire 60 meg archive in one try at slow speeds.

The new machine is running WinME and it''s not 100% stable. I''ve left it alone for long periods of time only to come back and find the screen has gone black and won''t respond. Keeping resuming and eventually you''ll get the whole thing. I may be looking at external hosts for storing the files in the future if I can''t get it working well.

Chris

I had similar problems but I could download data2.cab in 15-20 sessions. It installed fine..

WINME?!?! GAK! WinME is the sorriest excuse for an OS. There has never in the world ever been an OS crappier than WinME. Help your computer with a format ASAP or you may find it will overclock itself to 100000 mhz and burst into flames just to get itself out of its own missery.

-RIch

Absolutely agree with PsycoBlade! WinME is most useless GUI for swap system ever made(WinXP IMHO suxx too). It is most unstable version of win.9x generation. Anyway, Chris, do you have 250W power supply block and Super Orb cooler ? If no - get it. Athlons more than 1GHz frequency have some problems with it.

-s. Eibon

P.S. I have same problems with ftp.

The system actually came with Win2k preinstalled and I removed it to put WinME on instead. I didn''t want to do this, but there were some bugs that needed to be tracked down that only happened in Win98/ME.

I sometimes get blue screens when booting up or shutting down now. I''ve been spoiled by Win2k for too long

Chris, why would you need to use WinME on the ftp server? Just don''t say that you use pseudo multitasking on it to develop PR

-s. Eibon

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!