Best platform for motion-sensing games

Started by
14 comments, last by d000hg 13 years ago
I have a Wii without the Motion-plus, and a PS3 without Move. For games that really use motion-sensing properly, which would be best? My concern is that Wii is graphically far inferior but all games are designed to support motion-controllers. Whereas the PS3 is better hardware but games that support Move may do so rarely, or as a gimmick.

I don't want to get an XBox so Kinect is out... but I can upgrade either of my consoles quite cheaply. I'm thinking of sports games like tennis & golf which really benefit from the motion controller, rather than games which try to find a way to use it - for regular games the standard PS3 controller is fine.

This isn't meant to be a discussion on motion-controllers in general as a useful feature... but for those of us who do like them which route is best in terms of titles and hardware?
Advertisement

I have a Wii without the Motion-plus, and a PS3 without Move. For games that really use motion-sensing properly, which would be best? My concern is that Wii is graphically far inferior but all games are designed to support motion-controllers. Whereas the PS3 is better hardware but games that support Move may do so rarely, or as a gimmick.

I don't want to get an XBox so Kinect is out...

So you've got a inferior console, one that doesn't support motion control well, and eliminated the best console with motion control for some arbitrary reason which you don't state. WTF?!? blink.gif dry.gif

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Erm for sporty games i guess the Wii is best. It will have a bigger game library for that sort of thing, for the moment at least. Having said that i have only played the Wii and Kinect. If at some point you can i would certainly say the Kinect is a good investment (well so long as you have a great hall as a living room :P ).
I'd look at the list of titles that are out on the move and see if any really interest you.

So you've got a inferior console, one that doesn't support motion control well, and eliminated the best console with motion control
Wow. Fanboism much?
Kinnect is a whole different kettle of fish to Wii/Move - you can't really compare them to say that one is better.
It's like saying that steering wheels are better than arcade controllers -- do you want to play street fighter or GT?
For example, games like Metroid or Zelda are (almost) impossible on Kinnect, but work well on a Wii/Move controller. Some games need a few buttons as well as arm waving.

[edit]The simplest way to compare them is that Kinnect captures elbow movements (and knees/shoulders/hips), while move/wii capture wrist movements.

[quote name='d000hg' timestamp='1300287445' post='4786534']

So you've got a inferior console, one that doesn't support motion control well, and eliminated the best console with motion control for some arbitrary reason which you don't state. WTF?!? blink.gif dry.gif
[/quote]Let's enumerate your stupidity?

1. I don't want to spend $hundreds on a new console with Kinect when the other two options are far cheaper
  2. There are no Kinect games available yet really
  3. I don't want to have 3 consoles or ditch one I already have games for
  4. My living room isn't big enough for kinect
  5. etc

I don't think Wii is inferior to anyone who doesn't consider graphics the most important thing either. For games like tennis/golk, I'd also suggest holding a controller in your hand is more realistic than a controller-free system.

I don't want to get an XBox so Kinect is out... but I can upgrade either of my consoles quite cheaply. I'm thinking of sports games like tennis & golf which really benefit from the motion controller, rather than games which try to find a way to use it - for regular games the standard PS3 controller is fine.

This isn't meant to be a discussion on motion-controllers in general as a useful feature... but for those of us who do like them which route is best in terms of titles and hardware?

I have a Wii and PS3. I was never quite happy with the Wii, so I tried Move on PS3. My opinion? I love it! It's everything that I wanted from Wii - high precision, the great graphics that PS3 already had, cool games...

I highly recommend it. The system is pretty much 100% accurate, as opposed to the flailing around and halfway accurate approach that seems to come from Wii. For instance, in "The Fight", you need to punch like a real person and it perfectly mimics it. With boxing games on the wii, you can do other motions to "fool" it.

The only thing is that you mentioned that it is "Cheap" to do Move.. that wasn't my case at all. Look at it this way -- you get the starter pack for 100$, an extra controller (many games require 2 for one player), 50$, then 2 more controllers so another player can play, $100 more, then a game.. 50$... $300!!!!!

For my purposes, Ps3 move is way better than Kinect(games dont match with my interests), and Wii(Inferior technology).
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]

For my purposes, Ps3 move is way better than Kinect(games dont match with my interests), and Wii(Inferior technology).

Have you tried dance central (preferably drunk with friends)? It's a life changing experience.

[quote name='ktuluorion' timestamp='1300468957' post='4787562']

Have you tried dance central (preferably drunk with friends)? It's a life changing experience.
[/quote]

I have SingStar Dance, and though I haven't manage to terrorize friends with it yet, I have played with my wife watching and she gets a huge kick out of it.

I've performed such hits as "Step By Step" and "Poker Face" lol.

..And.. I just admitted that on a public forum.. :)
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]

[quote name='Machaira' timestamp='1300304325' post='4786710']
[quote name='d000hg' timestamp='1300287445' post='4786534']

[/quote]Let's enumerate your stupidity?

1. I don't want to spend $hundreds on a new console with Kinect when the other two options are far cheaper
  2. There are no Kinect games available yet really
  3. I don't want to have 3 consoles or ditch one I already have games for
  4. My living room isn't big enough for kinect
  5. etc

I don't think Wii is inferior to anyone who doesn't consider graphics the most important thing either. For games like tennis/golk, I'd also suggest holding a controller in your hand is more realistic than a controller-free system.

[/quote]
Let's pretend you didn't read the title.

The title says: "Best platform for motion-sensing games". Xbox and the Kinect are superior as far as hardware and platform. All 3 go about motion-sensing differently. However the Xbox is the most sophisticated of the 3. So my vote is Xbox. Now to keep it within the options the OP laid out, I'd go for the Move. Red Steel has been tried twice with the Wii (with and without the MotionPlus) and both times motion-sensing has been said to be lacking.

By the way, you spelled "golf" wrong.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

You never played golk? You're missing out ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement