• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

(Simple) #define v.s. const float

This topic is 6013 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was reading somewhere that its much better to have const floats than #defines in your code for debug purposes. fine .. but I have 3 files CTriangle, CSquare, and CHex. All of them are going to use const float PIover180 = 0.0174532925f; If I put this global there will be problems with redefination etc , If I put this as a private member you cant initalize a const float int the constructor , as Its const (duh) , and you cant initalise it in the header. what Im using at the moment is #ifndef PIover180 #define PIover180 0.0174532925f #endif But its a bit crude. How do I clean this up ? thanks

Advertisement
To initialize a const data member you have to use the constructor initializer list. This is the only place where you can assign a value to a const variable.

class Bleh
{
private:
const float blah;
const int theAnswer;
public:
Bleh() : blah( 0.0174532925f ), theAnswer( 42 )
{};
};

quote:
Original post by SCRUB
I was reading somewhere that its much better to have const floats than #defines in your code for debug purposes.

For debug purposes, name pollution (#defines don't obey scope), type safety, #defines may overwrite statements unintentionally, complex constants may have problems with parenthesis, etc.

quote:

fine .. but I have 3 files CTriangle, CSquare, and CHex.
All of them are going to use

const float PIover180 = 0.0174532925f;

If I put this global there will be problems with redefination etc

Really? Have you tried it? Because it works fine on my machine.
quote:

If I put this as a private member you cant initalize a const float int the constructor , as Its const (duh)

Arild Fines showed how to do this with ctor initialization lists. You can (should) make the constant a static member if you make it part of a struct or class:

// globals.h

struct Globals
{
static const float PIover180;
};
// globals.cpp

const float Globals::PIover180 = 0.0174532925f;

However, this has the same problem as just making it a normal class member in that the value of the variable is not known at compile time, and therefore cannot be optimized out; in this way, it does not behave like a #define.

quote:

and you cant initalise it in the header.

Not unless you inline the ctor.

quote:

what Im using at the moment is

#ifndef PIover180
#define PIover180 0.0174532925f
#endif

But its a bit crude.

How do I clean this up ?

// ProjNameTrigGlobals.h

namespace ProjNameTrigGlobals
{
const float PIover180 = 0.0174532925f;