communication mechanism for an internet based client server game

Started by
3 comments, last by gharesh 22 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I want to develop a client server game application where a windows/msvc++/vb based client application can communicate with a server application over Internet. (Please note I do not want to use internet browser) My problem is what mechanism I should use for data communication between the client and server. I have not yet decided as to what I should use at the server side; Java or C++; I would definitely prefer Java, J2EE on server side a. I want to avoid using DCOM. b. I want to use simple and nice mechanism. c. I can use HTTP protocol but then if the server wishes to send a message to a client over tcpip; then http protocol will; not work. Or will it work ? d. is SOAP appropriate to use in this scenario? e. is SOAP easy to use? f. CORBA can be used but then I have learning it. g. In that application I also will have to implement chatting mechanism (with multiple simulteneous players). h. so basically I want input from you guys as to what protocol should be used for data communication between a windows/vc++ based client application and a server application (windows/c++ or Java)
Advertisement
Why not use TCP/IP, and create you''re own Application Layer Protocol? I don''t know what kind of application you''re making, but it''s simple enough, and there''s plenty of examples out there to do it. You''ll want to look for tutorials on sockets, and you can be on your way pretty easily.

Hope that helps.

Will

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Or if you want to go the API route, you can learn DirectPlay, which is the DirectX library for doing game communications.

(sayeth he who knows not DirectPlay, but is reasonably sure that that''s what it''s there for)
I totally agree with BeerNutts. Controlling TCP/IP directly is your most advantageous route. First, TCP/IP is at it's heart not very different from handling a file. Second, it's nearly impossible today to find a system that doesn't handle TCP/IP in some fashion. Third, handling TCP/IP allows you much more control over what actually happens, how it is timed, and so forth. Develop a message protocol for your game that carries the specific data you will require to transfer between client and host.

-------------
-WarMage
...lalalalalala, lalalalanono, lalalalanononolalalanolanolinoooleum...

PS I also believe that J2EE, while nifty, is NOT going to be your fastest implementation. If you feel utterly compelled to use the semi-interpreted language as opposed to machine native compiled code, I believe you can still use C++ to write a DLL that can be acessed by J2EE with the native interface.

Edited by - WarMage on September 7, 2001 5:14:49 PM
If you want stupid simple (but easy) network communication, use Win32 MailSlot''s, or named pipes if you want a little more functionality than mailslot''s offer (you can only create server pipes on NT, 9x can connect to an NT pipe).

Mailslot are probablly a really bad idea to use over the internet... probably wouldn''t work at all.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement