• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vertex array vs display list

This topic is 6097 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, my question is about vertex arrays and display list. Im buildin a 3d engine, and now Im thinking about if I should use display lists or vertex arrays to display my objects. Which one renders the fastest ?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
display lists.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Why don''t you benchmark and find out? I think vertex arrays are more versatile as they have a directX equivalent.

Yeah I should try out. But in a 3d engine, I think putting in some display lists is much more complicated than using vertex arrays. If I want to modify the looking of my objects with display lists after I have compiled them, I can''t, I need to recompile modified objects and that wastes too much time.

for static data, display lists blow away vanilla vertex arrays. Using proprietary opengl extensions is probably not something you want to bother with at this point.

I was converting an app from OpenInventor to OpenGL, and in the process rewrote the code to render VMRL models.

At first i figured i would do a glDrawElements. This increased the speed from plain glVertex() calls, but i tried compiling glVertex calls into a display list, and we got even more speed.
So here''s a breakdown...
glVertex - 20 fps
glDrawElements - 30 fps
display lists with glVertex - 40 fps

These are subjective averages, and it will probably depend on your specific system. If processor time is scarce, display lists will rock because of the lowered function call overhead(and the vid card may cache display lists). But it may depend on your specific case...bench it!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!