Audio/Video Playback . . .

Started by
5 comments, last by DrunkMonkey25 13 years ago
Hey guys i have drafted a Game Engine i was wondering what are the available options for :

1] Audio Playback (Sound, 3D Sound, etc)
2] Video Playback.

Since this Game Engine is implemented in DirectX 9... i m aware of XACT for Audio Playback..and
For video i'm currently aware of Bink(Commercial Product) only.

Also, The target platform for this will be PC and XBOX.

Can anyone list me any available API

i dont want any Commercial Sound Engine like IRRKLAN( uses direct sound internally ) or FMOD.
Advertisement
Guyys Comm'on anybody ?
Can't say I know alot about those topics but I think this is one of the better sound APIs : OpenAL
ffmpeg is what most big time video players use. You can look into that, but don't think it will be easy.

ffmpeg.org

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

SDL has audio playback. So does SFML. There's also OpenAL. I'd personally suggest you rethink your stance on FMod as it would be my suggested option. And the commercial WWise product is stellar.

FFMPeg is good for video (if a bit of a pain to setup). There are a couple tutorials, and in my sig there is a blog post I made with a almost functioning C++ wrapper (audio goes out of sync on HD videos ).
XAudio2 for both win and xbox.
XNA provides all of that functionality, doesn't it? And I believe that to directly use DirectX on the 360 you need to pay for a license

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement