• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrain Mapping. Voxels or LOD Meshes?

This topic is 5982 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have just finished my (prototype) terrain engine. Its not to bad, needs plenty of optimization, but other than that it can render at 5 Levels of Detail. Alows me to do flybies, yada..., yada..., yada... On a Pentium III 800MHz, ATI Radeon, 2million triangles (512x512 @2 LOD) it renders at about 10-16 fps 800x600 full screen 16 bit, BX8. Okay, the reason for this post is that I typed in a Voxel Demo about 3 years ago, with a 512*512 map during flyby, it could achieve about 25 fps on a 233 PII PCI MGA Video Card 800x600 16bit full screen, DX3. Well it kinda got me thinking....... Anyone out there using Voxels and would like to sing its praises or basically slander it? (Anyone remember Comanche Overkill (about 7-10 years ago), used a voxel engine to do the terrain, I got 20fps @640x480 Tseng 4000 ISA on a 33MHz 486DX!!!!!!!). D.V.

Advertisement
I personally have not tried coding a voxel engine, but I love the concept. It incorporates frustrum culling, occlusion culling, and LOD in a single efficient algorithm. The main drawback is that, traditionally, landscapes must always be completely horizontal, but that needn't necessarily be the case; you can make a voxel engine with more freedom. As for ROAM type algorithms, I personally think they have too much hype, but that's just my opinion. If you'd like information about using voxel rendering techniques to render hardware-accelerated triangle strips, then there's an article at Flipcode about voxel engines that you might be interested in. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

Edited by - TerranFury on September 7, 2001 4:34:46 PM

• Advertisement